Sunday, December 09, 2012

Meet Spain's Classiest Diva - Yurena


Who is this heavenly creature? Seriously, I need to know everything! I can't even work out if Yurena is a man or a woman. All I can tell from my hours minutes of research is that s/he is really old, loves plastic surgery and recently posed nude for a magazine. To be honest, that's enough for me. This bitch is clearly Spain's classiest export since Las Ketchup and until Soraya does more with her life than beg fans for money on Twitter, s/he is my new favourite Spanish diva.

Call me crazy but I think "Go" is a really good song - if you overlook Yurena's bad pronunciation and robotic vocals. And even with those disadvantages, it's still better than anything on MDNA. I like the icy production and find the lyrics oddly pretty for such a trash anthem. Of course, it helps to hear the song without looking at the video (below). Which is basically a four minute glimpse into hell. There is terrifying choreography, creepy old gays and a singer who looks like a half-melted wax statue of Audrey Hepburn. It makes me feel violated in so many ways but I can't stop looking.

Now tell me all there is to know about the pop legend that is Yurena!

9 comments:

Peibols said...

If you send me Abbey Road Aus Edition I'll send you an email with all Tamara / Ambar / Yurena life.

Mike said...

LOL sure Pablo but isn't the Aus version the same as the UK?!

Nevado said...

Oh, how do I begin? She's such a mysterious woman! She became famous when she appeared in the late night show Crónicas Marcianas. She claimed to be preggers by a ridiculous clairvoyant, Paco Porras, and then she said she had an abortion. 100% comprehensible: with a father like him, it would have been the ugliest baby ever.
But thanks to that we got to hear what became a #1 hit in Spain, No Cambié, and some others perfect pop gems. One of my favourites is A Por Ti.

She's been working in a pub of her own during the last years but now, in these rough times for Spain, she's back because her mission in life is making us happy.

Peibols said...

Mikeito :-)! Then... Wow appears in which version?

You should follow Yurena in Facebook, she is really nice and always replies to her three or four fans.

Peibols said...

Also, look for some videos of Margarita Seisdedos (Daisy Sixfingers) Her mother and she goes with Yurena to every gig and tv show and Used to carry a brick in her handbag. It's really for self defence. If anyone insults her daughter she hits you with her handbag (brick inside).

Mike said...

So she used all her money from the pub to get more plastic surgery?!

Oh yes. "Wow". I will buy a copy for your princess!

Anonymous said...

i no understand is it man or woman?

noelster said...

good song but i srsly cant w/ the video. 'four minute glimpse into hell' is an exceedingly accurate description.

Matt said...

i have a new fave! thank you mike!