Sunday, December 09, 2012

Leona Lewis In Good Song Shocker


I don't have a lot of time for Leona Lewis. She is a gifted vocalist but her complete and utter lack of charisma makes her a terrible pop star. Apart from curing insomnia and making bookish girls feel better about themselves, the X Factor winner has struggled to carve out her own niche. There was a time when I thought she might turn it around - "Collide" is an amazing dance record - but Glassheart turned out to be more of the same rubbish - albeit with a couple of exceptions. As I mentioned in my review, the title track is a triumph and "Lovebird" is the closest Leona will ever get to recapturing her "Bleeding Love" glory.

Penned by Bonnie McKee and Dr. Luke, "Lovebird" is one of the prettiest mid-tempo ballads you will hear in 2012. This is an example of playing to Leona's strengths (ie. her voice) without aging her 20 years with tired production. I love the soaring chorus and stupid, metaphor-stretching lyrics. It will be interesting to see how this does on the charts. A couple of years ago, "Lovebird" would have been massive but Leona is pretty much obsolete now - so who knows? The video (below) is an even cheaper version of Kylie's "I Believe In You", so I don't know - or care - if that will help or hinder her.

Get ready to power grab for your life!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with this review. She looks pretty but boring as bat shit. Like a page out of a Myer catalogue that you'd just flick past

Craig said...

Why wasn't this the first single?

Anonymous said...

The best song on the album comes courtesy of Mr. Darkchild! Shake you up is an absolute corker. gives me a 1980's vibe. LOVE it

Mike said...

I like that one but prefer Glassheart, Lovebird and Un Love Me. The rest of that album is a waste of storage on my computer.

Anonymous said...

Kylie wishes she looks this good!