Saturday, November 10, 2012

Bionic Revisited - Hideous Mess Or Misunderstood Masterpiece?


In 2010 I reviewed Bionic and pretty much teared Xtina's experimental offering apart. My opinion has softened over the years - the ballads are really very good - but I did my best to pretend the album didn't exist until earlier this week when Idolator asked me to revisit the much-maligned opus to celebrate the release of Lotus. I was terrified at first and had a bottle of holy water ready to throw over my laptop if needed but the album holds up rather well and I think I can finally judge the music on its merits. Click here to read my retrospective review of Bionic but first enjoy the magic of "Desnudate" below!

7 comments:

Me said...

Desnudate would be fabulous if it was by the boricuan beauty it is trying to copy...

Apart from that I actually like Woo Hoo because it is so trashy but the rest of FLOPonic is a complete disaster.

Anonymous said...

Bionic is not a masterpiece but it`s not as bad as some people say... I always have a great time listening to it to be honest.
The review was great (except for that “Monday Morning is shit” thing, it is the best song on the album and you will deal), but your new found love for Bionic only makes me think that you`re dragging the amazing Lotus in your review...

MelbourneMandyFan said...

I do agree with the above "Bionic is not a masterpiece but it`s not as bad as some people say"..and let me stress, I HATE CHRISTINA, but I bough this album. I think it was the media who pushed this album as a mess and the public just like to bash someone; then again, Christina always comes across with so much arrogance you just can't help but join in the bashing, even when something is good

Mike said...

My Lotus review (for Idolator) is due on Monday... it's hard to write because I think it's a very good album but a bit safe but then safe is probably smart for her right now. Whatever. I love "Shut Up" unlike the rest of her fans and think the country ballad is amazing!

And "Monday Morning" is dreadful!

David said...

You teared it apart? Not sure if I readed that correctly.

Mike said...

My original review was pretty harsh: http://poptrashaddicts.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/christina-aguileras-bionic-pop-trash.html !

Anonymous said...

I listened to Lotus and I have to say... I'm not feeling it. I've never been a huge fan, but I thought Bionic was pretty good and I loved Your Body so I was really rooting for her. And now Lotus is projected to sell around 85k. Poor Xtine. :(