Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Meiko & The Year's Cutest Pop Song


A couple of days ago I noticed Meiko's "Stuck On You" shooting up Australian iTunes (it's already top 100). It was a bit of a surprise given the LA based singer-songwriter's status as the underground Jewel/non-annoying Colbie Caillat. I assumed the song currently features in an advertisement or was recently destroyed by someone on The Voice but I can't find any evidence of a tie-in, so maybe the nation has suddenly developed good taste. "Stuck On You" is so adorable it hurts. The lyrics are cuter than a kitten cuddling a teddy bear and Meiko's voice has a doll-like quality that reminds me of a less depressed Lisa Loeb. And then there's the quirky video (below). My future wife makes turkey meatballs in a muffin tin! Nigella Lawson could never! This tune has huge crossover potential and has the potential to explode with a bit of radio airplay. Expect to hear "Stuck On You" at hipster weddings and commitment ceremonies for years to come. I love it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! OMG I absolutely LOVE Meiko - I caught her when she came to Melbourne a few years ago...

The song is currently being used in the TV advert for "Winners & Losers", and I also heard it on Nova Radio yesterday - I wonder if she's coming back to tour?

Anonymous said...

It's been picked up by Air Asia...so everyone coming into Oz hears it. Check the comments on the youtube page and it hints at what could be behind her iTunes chart rise.

Mike said...

Thanks for the heads up about her TV promo. I'm glad it's promoting the song!

And yeah, I hope she tours.

dougmc said...

agree, its so cutesy pie

mia said...

Agree!!! Totally stuck in my head

Alex said...

The song is adorable and the food looks like it would be delicious.