Saturday, May 26, 2012

Kylie's Time Bomb - Song & Video Review


When I first heard "Time Bomb" my blood ran cold. I imagine Madonna fans must have experienced a similar feeling when they were first ear-raped by MDNA. But Kylie's cheap and cheerful electro-anthem is a grower and by the third or fourth listen I was on board. However, I stand by my initial evaluation. If anyone else recorded the song, I would be tearing it apart. "Time Bomb" sounds like a Rachel Stevens B-side from 2003 - only with worse production. What was Dada thinking with those tragic electric guitars? And I'm not even going to comment on the lyrics, which make Dannii's domestic abuse-themed club-banger "Love Fight" song like "War & Peace". Luckily, I'm hardwired to love Kylie and this effort proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could listen to her fart over a death metal instrumental and still enjoy it.

But enough with the criticism. While "Time Bomb" is far from the Queen of pop's best single, it is one of her smartest. The song is already top 10 on iTunes around the world and could turn out to be one of her biggest hits in years if radio plays along. Kylie has finally woken up to the fact that the mainstream doesn't really care about her experimental output or mid-tempo dance anthems (ie. 90% of Aphrodite) and dropped an incredibly commercial lead single. It's generic and sounds like everything else on radio. That's not a criticism but a compliment. She can still do current - unlike Madonna. I also hope they're lining up a bunch of remixes from low-rent DJs that actually get played in clubs instead of the usual too-cool-for-anyone-not-living-in-Hoxton crap they usually serve up.

And then there's the video. If you ignore the first minute, which looks like it was filmed on Dannii's iPhone, it's rather brilliant. I love Kylie's lipstick-lesbian makeover and the scene where she's writhing around on the motorbike is the hottest she has looked since the Fever era. It's dumb fun that appeals to the lowest common denominator. So it might even be played outside of gay bars. I know this post might sound negative but "Time Bomb" has really fired up my enthusiasm for her new album. Jake Shears' fag hag is coming for your faves this time around. Even if she has to sacrifice a little on quality.

Song = 7/10, Video = 8/10

17 comments:

Peibols said...

I couldn't agree more with you, third world blogger!

Peibols said...

I couldn't agree more with you, third world blogger!

Me said...

I love it - surprisingly - because it is clearly done by "couldn'tgiveaflyingfuckKylie" and much like its musical peers Wow, Better Than Today, Spinning Around, Your Disco Needs You etc is unashamedly good old fashioned unpretentious FUN pop. Yet it fits in nicely with the more electronic cuts from X (Like A Drug, Speakerphone, Nu-Di-Ty, Cherry Bomb, Rippin' Up The Disco).

The only criticism is the autotuned vocorder on the vocals - she doesn't need this kind of crap

Hasa said...

Agree 100% with everything

John said...

I can honestly say that I loved it at first listen...and my first thought was "this could get played on US radio." Setting myself up for disappointment once again.

Brett said...

I agree with you to a certain extent. It's not the most original song but it's very *kylie* and lots of fun!

David said...

Good to see you had a similar reaction as I did. When I listened to it the first time before writing up my post on it I found it fine but nothing that special, but when I listened to it later that night and even the next morning it seemed to take on a more epic quality. Usually it goes the other way around, and that it managed the rare opposite (and the sheer masses of unexpected hits my post ended up drawing...like wow) made me tip my hat to the Power of Kylie, which I had underestimated.

Justin said...

Of course I think it's flawless. Hoping for an eventual physical release!

The Prophet aka We Became Gang said...

I really like this song, but I like most of her music.

It definitely SHITS on MDNA. The two can't even be compared. For me Timebomb is really hot for what it is -- a random promo single. If it were the lead from her next studio album, I'd like it less, but I really enjoy it for what it is.

MDNA is atrocious and I'm a big Madonna fan, and I was SUPER pumped for the album, but it's a real shocker. I played the songs on Soundcloud and was surprised how bad they were. It was the type of music that ONLY sounds good if you're at the club and trashed, but it has no place outside of the dance floor. Madonna's music should be versatile enough to work not just in the clubs but also everywhere, like Britney and Kylie.

Sexual Gold said...

its her best single in years!

InscrutableTed said...

Mike, I remember you saying that "Get Outta My Way" flopped because the video was all wrong, and that it should have shown Kylie wearing jeans and having fun.

Maybe someone listened to you, because here we have Kylie having fun in a pair of cut-off jeans, and it's her most successful video in years.

(1.3 million views on YouTube in two days, with almost no promo yet.)

scientivore said...

By the way, has anyone done a mash-up of Dannii's "Love Fight" and Prodigy's "Smack my bitch up"?

Because that would be hilarious, uncomfortable, and probably quite danceable.

scientivore said...

Come to think of it, Dannii's probably quite a fan of "Smack My Bitch Up", since she enjoys lezzing up on video.

Anonymous said...

methinks the princess of pop is slowly but surely taking up the throne

faith said...

Loved it at second listen, fell in love with the video instantly. the video is the bomb. i don't think it is as commercial as you say, except the lyrics which aren't more shallow than anything she's sung recently. i mean good lyrics have said bye-bye a long time ago.

didn't even come close to feeling ear-raped neither by this, nor by mdna. you might be liking some alright music but can't come to admit that they are not trash maybe.

Anonymous said...

I loved it so much I timebombed in my pants. And like my aural hard on which preceeded the seeding, it's a grower then a shower.

VANESSA FRANCO said...

I think timebomb simply fantastic, sexy and fun the video, kylie is perfect.