Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Estelle Finally Has An Amazing Song

And it flopped like everything else she has ever released. Seriously, what is it with this poor bitch? With the exception of the Kanye West-assisted "American Boy", Estelle can't give her shit away. Usually that's because the diva's music is dire middle-of-the-road R&B but "Back To Love" is an absolute anthem. I fucking adore this song. The Jerry 'Wonder' Duplessis-produced (he did Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie and Keri Hilson's amazing "All The Boys") gem covers unusual ground - lyrically and musically.

It's written from the perspective of someone that struggled through a break-up and finally got their groove back. Think of it as an unusually mature memo to an ex saying hey, I'm alright. The production is a breath of fresh air too. I love that it's upbeat and extremely catchy without sounding like a Taio Cruz demo. If only Estelle pursued this kind of material more often she wouldn't be a one hit wonder. We all know she's talented but "All Of Me" is such an uneven bore. I like the next single ("Wonderful Life") but apart from that it's a cure for insomnia.

Anyway, none of that matters at the moment. Just check out her one great contribution to popular music below and get ready to fall in love.


8 comments:

John said...

I like the new disc, but I don't love it. It doesn't connect as a whole, but "Back to Love" is solid. I'm surprised you're not raving about "Break My Heart" with your BF Rick Ross on the track.

Mike said...

I think the album is really bland. I like a couple of tracks but she's working on this for years and it's really not that good. Even Rick Ross can't save it!

Me said...

Who is this insipid FLOP fucking to still be allowed near a recording studio? Or do they record the cleaning ladies and call the result an album these days?

Bruce said...

Wait, Estelle had a song in 2008 "Back IN Love" and now she's doing "Back TO Love"? Sorry. Not allowed. What's next? "American Guy"?

Daniel said...

thank you for sharing this mike - never would've known about it otherwise. made me cry and immediately went to DL on iTunes.

Mike said...

I had exactly the same response!

Anonymous said...

Love this.

Joey Collins said...

Poor Estelle. I feel like she has so much potential and she doesn't really get that much credit. She's actually really cool. :)