Like most people who have been following Elen's career, I knew she could dance like a demon but wasn't completely sure about her vocal chops. Don't get me wrong. "Naughty" is pure fire but there's enough autotune on that fucker that make Cassie sound good. So, it was a pleasant surprise to discover that Elen has an impressive set of pipes. She tore into "Naughty", looking every inch the superstar surrounded by her dancers. Next up was a new track called "Like A Girl In Love", which is a stone-cold smash. The heavy synths show Elen in an edgier light and I love the anthemic chorus. That flowed effortlessly into "Ooh Yeah". Don't worry about the dodgy title. Team Levon has cooked up another radio-ready winner that gets lodged in your brain after the first listen.
Yours truly with ElenWhile the songs were uniformly excellent, the most impressive aspect of the short (but sweet) showcase was the budding diva's poise. Elen held her nerve like a veteran, hitting every note - while dancing like a non-gutter whore Ciara. Jessica Mauboy can't move like that. Havana Brown would probably break a hip trying. Only time will tell if she connects with the Australian public but the Year 11 student has the raw talent to go a very long way.
Now in case you haven't seen Elen's recently released "Naughty" video yet, here are five points to mull over while soaking in the visual extravaganza.
1. It reminds me of Amy Pearson's "Butterfingers" video - only with competent dancing and enough financial backing to afford a set.
2. My favourite look is the singlet and pony-tail. Leave the heavy make-up and edgy clothes for sad bitches who need to distract from their face. Like Lady Gaga and Cassie Davis.
3. The "Slow" inspired floor-dancing routine is adorable.
4. Why are these children hitting up the club with no parental supervision? It's clearly past their bed-time and I fear they've been drinking more than Powerade.
5. Choreography is back! I feel like we're returning to the 80s/early 90s when a killer dance moves were absolutely essential.
Make sure you follow Elen on Twitter to get the latest news and check out the following links for more stanning:
- Idolator review
- Toya'z World commentary
- Interview with The Prophet
- The expert musings of Feed Limmy