Saturday, May 28, 2011

Happy Birthday, Kylie!

Kylie turns 43 today. Damn. In my mind she's still the 18 year old ingenue from Neighbours but I guess most of her fans weren't even born when Scott and Charlene packed up the car and drove off to the arsehole of Australia to live happily ever after. It scares me that I remember that episode and every step of the pop icon's subsequent career. I have literally been a life-long fan. And while the "Aphrodite" era leaves me cold, Kylie will always be my favourite. She's like family. We fall out, make up and carry on as if nothing ever happened. The Les Folies juggernaut rolls into Australia in a couple of weeks and I'll be there waiting with a smile on my face and an arm full of tacky tour merchandise. Bring it on! So how to celebrate Kylie's special day? I was going to post one of the new "Put Your Hands Up" remixes but I just can't muster any enthusiasm. They are fine but I'd rather watch this fabulous clip of the diva belting out "Look My Way" in 1988. That jam has always been one of my favourites - I still give it the occasional spin when intoxicated! - and I love that she randomly performed it on national TV instead of promoting an actual single. Dannii's older sister looks so cute and sounds fantastic. The video is pretty low quality but it's well worth putting up with the fuzzy visuals. Happy birthday, Kylie!

6 comments:

pdb73 said...

I remember the reason behind this performance was to prove that she could indeed sing live. It was right in the middle of the 'singing budgie' media storm. Glad she decided to do it and give the finger to the fuckers! I was glued to the telly that night going 'you go girl!'...or whatever the appropriate catchphrase was at the time : )

michael said...

I love this clip and still listen to this song too.

Anonymous said...

yes she did this as a response to the singing budgie stigma.. what a great flashback

Matt said...

i can't work out if ur 17 or 47...

Me said...

Such a fabulous performance of a rather substandard album filler and puts everything from DIRE AphroSHITEe The Folly to shame! Much like the random Rescue Me and SISOSIG performances on TGI Friday and Frank Skinner, tehy reminded peopel that she could actually SING and not whimper over an autotuned backing vocal to some Le C*U*N*Tified "instrumental"...

If only she had done something like this instead of dragging the rotting carcass of FOTC everywhere (not that anything aside from BTT was worth performing) then the album might not have been such a massive stinking International FLOP!

Hopefully Dannii got a copy of her seminal 1991 UK Top 20 SMASH $ucce$$ to remind her sister what it is like to be groundbreaking, innovative and relevant.

John said...

Cute performance, but after having seen the tour it's clear she's come so far. Her vocal control was really impressive and holds its own against all of the other dancing/singing divas.