The second single from Mother Monster's highly anticipated new album leaked yesterday and it's already sitting at number one on US iTunes with predicted sales of upwards of 400,000 copies. That should be enough to snag the world's most ragged looking 25 year old another chart-topper and elevate her a further rung above Katy Perry and Rihanna on the pop ladder but is it any good? Here are some random thoughts:
1. It's better than "Born This Way", which isn't really that much of an achievement.
2. "Judas" has been widely likened to "Bad Romance" but I don't agree. That song has an underbelly of hate, hurt and love that is completely missing from Gaga's latest single. There is nothing raw or personal about this. "Bad Romance" will be remembered as one of the best pop songs of the noughties because it rings true. Behind the slick production and catchy vocal hooks is a very simple break-up anthem that will stand the test of time. "Judas", on the other hand, is emptier than Toni Braxton's bank account.
3. I like that it sounds like Bananarama in the chorus.
4. Lady Gaga needs to stop working with RedOne. Sure, he knows how to keep things fresh for musical geniuses like Kat DeLuna but his relationship with Stefania is getting boring. I hate "Born This Way" but it represents - for better or worse - some kind of development, while "Judas" could have been a "Fame Monster" B-side.
5. Time to leave the religious imagery alone. It's so incredibly dull. She's done it before - as has every diva with a rebellious streak since 1980. Just move on, ho.
6. Despite all my bitching, I don't mind it and am able to listen the whole way through without cringing or wanting to call Madonna's lawyers. It's just that, as a former Monster, I expect so much more. Lady Gaga is too talented to be writing throwaway pop songs that Aubrey O'Day would reject.
7. I don't know how I feel about Gaga's third album now. The first two were so brilliant, part of me thinks she can't get it so drastically wrong this time around. But why release these stinkers as singles if there is better material in the can? At least the cover is BRILLIANT.
How do you feel about "Judas"?