Saturday, December 04, 2010

An Australian Flop Vs Soraya

I am so disgusted I can hardly type. Natalie Gauci - better known as the least successful Australian Idol winner in history - has dared to fuck with the reigning Queen of Spanish pop by covering the title track of her new album. Sure, Natalie co-wrote "Dreamer" and probably recorded it first but that's no excuse for stealing Soraya's thunder. The sad flop should be grateful that an international megastar would deign to sing her song instead of using it for herself. It's like Malena Gracia covering Maria Callas - not right! I just don't see the point of Natalie's version. Her voice was never going to match Soraya's glorious pipes and the production is cheaper than her wig in the tacky video (below). Admittedly, the remixes are good - which explains its current top 5 placing on the ARIA club chart - but why not mix the original? It's about time Australia was blessed by the Spanish angel's legendary beauty and breathtaking talent! Now instead of hearing Soraya in the club, I'll be tortured with this shit. Thanks a lot. And to think I spent $5.99 on Natalie's flop album when it made its way to the bargain bin at JB Hi-Fi! If you want a good laugh, check out the video clip that accompanies this abomination. Soraya would never approve...

6 comments:

The Prophet said...

I love Natalie! I always wanted her post idol cash-in album but it I only ever saw it full price so I never got it.

I was disappointed when she didn't release a proper album. I can't believe she's doing dance music now with this Rihanna Rated R/GaGa rip off video and image. It's a good song tho! You say she's in the top five of the ARIA charts which is so cool, I'm happy for her! I hope it goes no. 1.

Robpop said...

Gauci recorded it first. As she wrote it......

But Soraya released it first. But by mere weeks. So strictly speaking Natalie's is the cover and Soraya's is the original.

http://dontstopthepop.blogspot.com/2010/11/sorayaqueen-of-clubsla-reina-del-disco.html

I think Dreamer isn't even the best song on Soraya's stunning album. She's got a fair plenty better tracks on that album to play with. I dont Sony are interested in releasing Dreamer as a single anyways.

Mike said...

Jacques, you should check out the song Natalie released before this. It's more what you'd expect from her. But I think it was only released in Germany. It's on Aus iTunes tho. And the song is up to #3 now - so you might get your wish.

Bobby, I have it on good authority that Sony did want to go with Dreamer as a single and to be honest, I don't think this should stop them. It's not like Natalie Gauci is huge in Spain! But I also agree that there are better songs. "I Got You" and "Twilight" are my picks for Soraya's next stunning smash!

Anonymous said...

POP PANEL??

Anonymous said...

Ugh. This cover is the shit. And by 'the shit', I mean 'terrible'.

Oh, and when are you going to post Pop Panel?? I'm soooooooo reaady for it!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, what else is planned for this single (whens its digital release, whens the music vid released)? coz im really hoping it will be a hit, do you think it could be a hit

-thanks :)