Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Kylie - Get Outta My Way & Third Single

A delicious fan made cover

After all these years I still get excited when Kylie releases a new single. I still have to buy it in every format and track down all the remixes. No wonder I'm broke! And I'm particularly excited about this one. "Get Outta My Way" (along with Jennifer Rush's modern classic "Echoes Love") was the soundtrack to my recent recent European trip and the song brings back a tidal wave of happy memories. It's a bit of shame then that the song is DOA in Australia. The stunning anthem peaked at a ridiculous #69 on iTunes and just scraped into the radio airplay chart at #42. What the fuck? It's somewhat of a (happy) surprise then that we are getting a physical single. Released on the 8th of October, the 6 track CD will have the following tracklist:

1. Get Outta My Way
2. Bimbo Jones Club Edit
3. Sidney Samson Remix
4. Paul Harris Vocal Remix
5. Mat Zo Remix
6. Video


Fabulous! I actually think they should have gone with a CD1 and CD2. No one else is doing it and the Kylie faithful (ie. the only people who are going to buy it anyway) would lap that shit up. Why not double sales? And who cares if it's chart ineligible? The song is already a flop - you might as well try something different and generate a bit of goodwill in the process. At least we have the UK, where "Get Outta My Way" is being released on 3 different formats and is currently sitting pretty at #8 in the mid-weeks. It might fall out of the top ten by Sunday but it doesn't really matter given the healthy album sales.

Aphrodite - the game!

Almost as exciting as Australia's unexpected physical single is the unveiling of Kylie's Aphrodite computer game. I am seriously obsessed with this trash. You basically have to rescue Kylie over 10 very simple levels but the tacky Nintendo circa 1996 graphics and camp voiceover make it absolutely addictive. They need to release this as an iPhone app immediately! Last but not least is the slightly disturbing confirmation that "Better Than Today" will now be the album's third single instead of the previously rumoured "Put Your Hands Up". I'll save that rant for another day because I'm praying the information is wrong. Interestingly, at least one remix of "Cupid Boy" (that I know of) has been commissioned - so hopefully it will get a showing as a later single or, at the very least, be pushed to clubs. In the meantime, let's just enjoy "Get Outta My Way". It might not be the superstar's biggest hit but I think it's one of her best. Check out this lovely behind the scenes doco from the making of the video (below). I had no idea it was a homage to Paris Is Burning!

14 comments:

Tony Tornado said...

The fan cover is better than the original one....

Remixes of BTT have been commissioned to Monarchy, so yes, it's pretty offical, babe.

Peibols said...

They sais Cupid Boyfor 5th single.
It's been superromoured.

Th gamed is abfab!

FuckYouRussia said...

what the fuck australia? you have the most gorgeous pop star - kylie (sorry dannii, you're in my heart anyways) and you simply don't care about her. why?????? get outta my way is one hot piece of pop.

tommie said...

"Healthy album sales" - bitch hasn't even passed 200k in the UK; people only want her hotter younger sister these days! Poor decaying Kylie.

John said...

I'm with you all the way around on this post. Apparently I'm one of the few bloggers that didn't drink the Kool Aid associated with "Better Than Today", because I think it's the weakest track on Aphrodite. "Put Your Hands Up" should be the next single, but that following GOMW might be too much perk combined.

Mike said...

Put it away, Tommie! As much as I love her I don't think Dannii's combined sales have passed 200k - re-issues and fan releases included!

And John, I totally agree. "Better Than Today" sounds like something the Scissor Sisters shat out 3 years ago. Someone at Parlophone has had a serious brain fart.

Anonymous said...

also agree that better than today is the worst song on the album

WTF?

fred said...

Any chance of an album re-release after the third single?
Beef up a quality album with 4-5 new songs. Mixed too would be ace.

Jamie_movietrip said...

I'm appalled at the British public for not making Get Out Of My Way Kylie's biggest hit since CGYOOMH, what is wrong with people?

PS. I like Better Than Today.

tommie said...

Mike - Dannii doesn't need to sell because This Is It was a bigger hit in Australia than Madonna's I Want You and Put The Needle On It peaked higher than Come Into My World and Dannii's a vegetarian and hasn't had a nosejob and is therefore the Queen of Pop.

Me said...

tommie speaks the truth!

GOMW is a tired rehash of WKOF & LAFS so no wonder it is a FLOP and has (thankfully) killed the DIRE AphroSHITEe...

and to think it was touted as THE track to catapult Kylie to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 and every chart in the world, doing the same for the album...

Mike said...

It's hard to argue with Tommie's logic....

Jay, I don't think Hermaphrodite is dead by any stretch. Particularly with the tour and a re-release on the horizon. I just think they need to be smarter about single choices and timing.

PS. Hurry up and send me that CD, you bitch!

Dustin said...

First, I can't believe that Get Outta My Way was a flop! It's the most downloaded track off Aphrodite in the iTunes store... and the U.S. has always snubbed Kylie - not to mention the music for sale right now is all trash - so there has to be an error somewhere because there's simply NO WAY that Get Outta My Way could *not* have charted well. The only reason I can think it didnt chart well is lack of airplay and a lot of the live performances for the track were wayyyy before it was released as a single.

Second- 99% of the rumors about the 3rd single have all been rumored to be "Aphrodite". I think that it would be an excellent single except I can't see the general public going along with the "Can You Feel Me In Stereo" or "I'm A Golden Girl - I'm an Aphrodite" parts, so I don't think that song would chart well- unfortunately.

Now the focus has shifted to "Better Than Today" and I couldn't be more excited. I fell in love with this track the moment Kylie debuted it on her North American Tour - and was extremely disappointed it was not the lead single. Everyone at the shows loved it - and the choreography was spectacular. Mind you, the version performed at the show and the single version on the Aphrodite album are different and Stuart Price totally jacked up Nerina's and Andy's original production... it's still a quality track overall and should get the album back on track.

I know Kylie's gay fans are advocating for "Cupid Boy" as a single and it may end up happening, but I would prefer Too Much or Cant Beat The Feeling to Cupid Boy and am really hoping that Better Than Today IS single #3. I would also like to see RUFFLE MY FEATHERS as a B-SIDE (hello anyone out there in Camp Kylie?) as it could have fit nicely on Aphrodite.

Ronnie said...

Bunch of bitter bitches on here. GOMW just went #1 billboard club play.