Friday, September 03, 2010

Kylie - Change Your Mind

Why is Kylie standing next to a giant white dildo in this photo? You just know Dannii would straddle that fucker as soon as look at it. But I digress. The topic of today's post is old probably news to most of you. Earlier this week "Change Your Mind" found its way online (probably via Elle's outbox), becoming the first official leak from the "Aphrodite" sessions. Kylie's dreamy jam received a rather cool response from fans but I love it. Produced by Deadmau5, "Change Your Mind" is the kind of soft and lovely electronic embrace that the elderly Minogue does better than anyone. Admittedly, it takes a couple of listens to get into and sounds decidedly unfinished but the bare bones of a great pop song are there. The lyrics (apparently written by Jake Shears) are really quite odd - walking the fine line between romance and realism. Take this little gem: "Don't worry about me, I'm right where I belong. I'm better off all by myself but you might prove me wrong." Pretty! And then there's that fabulous sample of Deadmau5's own "Brazil". Unfortunately, Alexis Jordan got there first - sampling the track to stunning effect on "Happiness", which I posted back in June. That could be why "Change Your Mind" remains unfinished but I hope it eventually finds its way on to a Deadmau5 compilation because the track has so much potential. Check out a hot fan edit below. This is my song of the week!

7 comments:

Seth said...

It's a very bad song and i'm deeply happy that it never went any further and didn't end on the very perfect gem that is aphrodite.

Moogaboo said...

Mike, I love it, too! Those lyrics are really quite special. It's the kind of thing I love hearing Kylie sing because I think it's what she's really all about. Kind of a mix of her perfect-pop stuff and her more introspective self-written tunes on IP. A gem.

Tyler said...

I love this assessment of it, and agree with it. I'm not surprised Kylie fans would, on the whole, hate it because it's a departure into maturity and slightly on the side of the abstract, and the reason so many love Kylie is because she is a comfort object in vocal form. It's a bit minimal and a bit anti-disco and the smallest smidge postmodern, and babygays, I mean Kylie fans, tend to be none of those things.

It is for Kylie what that new Armin van Buuren track is for Sophie, and I like seeing someone walk off the side of the cliff sometimes. But at least Kylie releases her albums, unlike the lazy cow.

And Nu Dannii would not straddle that phallus, but instead demure shyly from it and then shoot it smoky bedroom eyes from afar, because she is a Classy and Changed woman!

Scott said...

Love it. Love it a lot.

BTW, what the hell is the story with Elle? Who is she? I'm loathe to talk about her on the net and give her more attention, but I have wondered what her deal - aside from Kylie stalker - is and where she gets leaks.

Anonymous said...

The only problem is that Kylie recorded this song a year and a half at least. Way before Alexis. Alexis' lyrics is just plain stupid "Hurry hurry hurry... Quick quick quick". Kylie's voice and the lyrics take this music to a different level.

anonymous HATER!!! said...

u rancid slag update da blogz

Mike said...

My computer has been fucked! I'll try to catch up during the week.

Glad to find some love for Change Your Mind. I think it's gorgeous.