Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Vanessa Amorosi's Forgotten Debut

"Get Here" is the holy grail for Ness Ness fans. Recorded as a promo single for Sydney Central Plaza (a shopping centre) in 1998, the track is notably absent from the Australian version of Vanessa's debut album. I have no idea how many copies were pressed - I'm guessing quite a few if it was randomly given away to shoppers - but it rarely appears on eBay and usually goes for a small fortune. Well, it popped up again recently and I finally gave into temptation. I didn't know what to expect when the disc arrived but I was genuinely surprised to learn it was a cover of Oleta Adam's 1991 classic. Before the Brenda Russell fans start a smear campaign, I know she did it first! I'll just always associate the song with Oleta. Her version was hugely popular during the Gulf War and became a massive hit in America and the UK. Strangely, it never took off in Australia - which is probably why someone thought it was ripe for the picking. More perplexing is the decision to transform Oleta's touching ode to deployed soldiers into a cheesy dance anthem. Not that I'm complaining. Vanessa's version of "Get Here" is a trash lover's wet dream. I love the tacky 90s production and dubious arrangement, while the so bad it's amazing House Mix defies belief! With a bit of touch up this hot mess would have made a nice addition to "The Power". Someone really needs to mash it with "Absolutely Everybody" for a near lethal dose of late 90s/early 00s fabulousness. I just wish Ness Ness recorded a ballad version. Her vocal is beautiful. She was only 16 when this was recorded but you can almost smell the raw potential. Anyway, ready yourself for a screaming trashgasm. This is the campest thing you'll hear all week!

9 comments:

Big G said...

OMG! This is so bad, it's fucking magical!

I love it! What a lovely raw voice! YUM!

(dread to think how much you paid! - but it's well worth it!)

Richard said...

It did get a commercial release, it was a hidden track on the UK version of her debut album 'The Power'! :D

Calen said...

Haha, I actually kind of like this.

Anonymous said...

As above has said it was on the international versions of 'The Power'.
It was also on her Australian 'Turn To Me' album release, with completely different production to this promo single.
The rap in the house mix is the best.. "yeah girl I wanna get to you.. By plane, train, or automobile.."

Mike said...

Thanks for the info guys. Will update/correct! I always forget about "Turn To Me"...

And the House Mix is a trip. LOL!

Richard said...

It must be the remixed version on the UK album too, as I don't recognise the version in the video posted, which is 'so 1998' it's untrue, the beats sound like Karen Ramirez' Looking For Love <3

Ben said...

I like it!

Anonymous said...

V is awesome. Love her to bits. She is like wine. Gets better with age.
Rock on sister!!!!

gr.green said...

Beck said
V is awesome. Love her to bits. She is like wine, only gets better with age.
Rock on sister!!!