Friday, August 13, 2010

Beyoncé's Forgotten Classic

So it's Friday afternoon and I'm counting down the minutes until I can leave work and hit up the nearest bar. Not that I'm an alcoholic or anything. Unfortunately, there are 60 long minutes to go and I'm dealing the pain the best way I know how - by watching Beyoncé videos on YouTube. There's nothing like a dose of Queen B to invigorate your soul. After all, she is the third closest thing to Jesus after La Toya and Kylie! This afternoon I've been concentrating on the wildly neglected "B'Day" era. Sure, I hated that album when it was released but I finally saw the light and now acknowledge its indisputable status as one of the greatest albums of the noughties. My favourite track changes on a daily basis but it's hard to surpass the brilliance of Bey's 6 and a half minute opus "Get Me Bodied". I often think of this gem as the seed that grew into "Single Ladies". The minimal production and hand claps are reminiscent of Honey Bee's modern classic but the drag-tastic lyrics about patting your weave and walking like Naomi Campbell - not to mention the lengthy running time - resulted in one of the biggest flops of the diva's career. "Get Me Bodied" stalled at #68 in the US and wasn't even released outside of North America. It's a shame because this is a camp anthem for the ages. Just take the amazing video, which features B's holy sister Solange and those two flops from Destiny's Child. The clip re-creates Bob Fosse's choreography from "Sweet Charity" and the result is a joyous celebration of Beyoncé's unmatched talent. Sit back and soak up the glamour of "Get me Bodied"!

14 comments:

The Prophet said...

Another piece of shit from the biggest piece of scum on the face of the earth. This was my least favorite song off this album.

Everybody knows the best song from the Bidet sessions is World Wide Woman!

Fernando said...

Where are your comments about Dannii's new song?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_MLLxn1jI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdI-fxP7QTc

Anonymous said...

thanks for wasting 3.55mins of my time, that's all I could stand

Aaron said...

You're exactly right with the Get Me Bodied as the seed that created Single Ladies - I feel the same!

As for the track...I do rather like it, but it just runs a little long for me...The only thing, I think!

And I'm sure I remember seeing the video on Video Hits here!

Gorka said...

I totally agree Mike, first time I had lsiten "Single laides" I trhough it was the younger and uglier sister of "GEt me bodied"! The long version in "B'day" (Special edition) is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Of course it sounds the same, Bey has no originality. She steals songs and sounds from other people, so it's no surprise that she'd steal from herself, too.

And yes, why is BeYawnce getting all these posts when every time I check the comments on her posts either no one says anything or everyone just HATES on her, yet Queen Dannii's new single is being overlooked? Get with the program!

Dannii >>> Bey!

Aline said...

Get Me Bodied got some airplay in Brazil...
Anyway, I clicked on comment for the same reason as Fernando: won't you say anything about Dannii's new song preview? "Bitch, please!"
Bjs

Mike said...

Sad Beyoncé h8trs to the left, to the left!

And calm down bitches. I was waiting for a longer clip of Dannii's new opus to leak. It's high on my list of priorities!

John said...

The track's a classic, and absolutely was a harbinger of what was still to come. And the video is low budget brilliance.

D'luv said...

FUCK THIS KUNT.

Mike said...

John = LOVE!

D'Luv, I just died inside.

Mariah said...

this song is one of the worst on the album! The best are "Upgrade U", "Suga Mama" and the amazingly hilarious "Ring the Alarm"

The Prophet said...

Robbie is speakin' my language!

-JLO. said...

Get Me Bodied?

One of the worst songs on the album.

Now Ring The Alarm, that's some great shit.