Thursday, March 04, 2010

Something You Probably Won't Like

I'm in love with a song. It's early days yet and we're still getting to know each other but as Donna Summer once said - this time I know it's for real. The thing is... I don't think you'll approve. You see, "Home" isn't typical Pop Trash fodder. I actually feel kind of dirty for hooking up with a tune that made JJJ's hot 100 countdown but the heart wants what the heart wants. If you've never heard of Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, you're not alone. I happily ignored the band until I stumbled across "Home" and felt like I'd just been tea-bagged by Jesus. As it turns out, the group is a much hyped 11 piece from California fronted by a couple of shaggy hippies called Alex and Jade. They describe their music as psychedelic folk rock but I think "Home" sounds more like Sonny and Cher crosssed with The Mamas & The Papas. On really good acid. I love the whistles, tambourines and brass. I adore the sweet chorus. And I want to marry the person who wrote the lyrics. The romantic exchange (at 3:15 mins) about Jade falling out a window, almost "breaking her ass" chokes me up every time. Finally a new song to add to my wedding playlist! Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros are touring Australia at the end of the month. See you there.

6 comments:

Christian Stovitz said...

thank you!
i love your blog!
xxx

Me said...

I started hating it from the second that irritating whistling kicked in and couldn't get much further than the 47 second mark without wanting to shoot my ears to get rid of the pain.

Cyber said...

This is just as controversial as when you told the world of your Fergie love.

Mike said...

Coming out as a Fergie fan was way more controversial! I think that was my favourite post in the history of Pop Trash Addicts:

http://poptrashaddicts.blogspot.com/2007/12/fergie-puts-me-on-rock-rock.html

And I don't care what the haters say about Edward Sharpe. I love this shit despite the fact that it has real instruments and wasn't recorded by a middle aged European flop diva!

The Prophet said...

AMAZING!

*downloads album*

John said...

I usually pride myself on the fact that I like the stuff that you say people will hate. This one? Not so much. I don't hate it, but it sure doesn't do anything for me.