Monday, March 29, 2010

Remembering Tamar Braxton

Don't get me wrong. I love Toni Braxton. Anthems like "Breathe Again", "You're Making Me High" and "Un-Break My Heart" defined the 90s. It's difficult then to explain my total lack of enthusiasm about her soon to be released comeback album despite being one of the few people who actually likes her floptastic lead single "Yesterday". The problem is that everytime I see or hear Toni - I get the urge to kneel down and pray for the return of her infinitely more fabulous sister. Tamar Braxton hasn't released a song since 2000 but the intervening decade has only made my heart grow fonder. Much like La Toya, this long suffering songbird never got a fair go from music fans. It seems there was only room for one deep tranny voice on the charts and Toni got in first. Either that or Tamar was simply too tasteful and elegant (see picture below) for the mainstream. I'm going with the latter! For the uninitiated, the youngest Braxton sister was discovered in the bathroom singing "please get me some toilet paper". Believe me, I wish I was joking. That should have been some kind of omen for the tone of the diva's career but more about that later.

Tamar's stunning approach to fashion inspired a generation

Tamar first came to prominence as part of the family group (who else remembers The Braxtons' amazing cover of "The Boss"?) but was singled out by super producer Christopher "Tricky" Stewart as a solo star and released her first and only album in 2000. The first single was a fierce urban jam that managed to be entertaining despite the unwanted presence of Janet's troll husband. I remember being absolutely transfixed by the classy video, which features some of the best stripper moves ever captured on film. However, the album's finest moment was undoubtedly its second single. "If You Don't Wanna Love Me" is one of my all time favourite ballads. Everything about Tamar's timeless anthem is beautiful - from the heartbreaking lyrics to the diva's powerhouse vocal delivery. The song is as good as, if not better than, anything in Toni's back catalogue and should have been a massive hit. Unfortunately, it barely scraped into the top 30 of the R'n'B chart and effectively killed Tamar's career. Since then she's been reduced to singing back up for Toni. The indignity! Make sure you listen to the original ballad version of "If You Don't Wanna Love Me" because I've decided to post something a little more uplifting. I noticed that the brilliant Hex Hector mix was missing from Youtube - a glaring omission that I decided to rectify immediately. In my opinion, this is one of the legendary DJ's best remixes. Tamar's legacy lives on!

21 comments:

tommie said...

"She is currently working on a new album and her own record company with her husband, producer Vincent Herbert." - from Shittypedia. She apparently had another album in 1999 that was shelved?!

She's only 33 years old (!), so there's still time for her to do Celebrity Rehab and stage a comeback!

Sexbox said...

I still have the Hex Hector club mix of her flop single somewhere on vinyl. I see where Toni got her slutty fashion sense from!(omigod....my word verification is "follo" LOL)

Tommy said...

If THAT picture isn't on hotghettomess.com yet, it should be! lol.. Anyway, this totally brings me back. I ended up picking up Tamar's album at a used CD store some 9 years back or so. Glad to see some love for the classy, underappreciated Braxton sister (the comments on that video are interesting, to say the least). The last thing I remember of her was when she and Toni appeared on Wendy Williams' radio show together to promote Toni's last album. I remember at one point, they both ended up calling her out on her awkward nose job. (IIRC, the conversation went something like this.. "Wendy: it looks like one nostril is bigger than the other.. Toni: I told her she should have gone to my doctor!"). Don't know why I remember that exchange, but whatever.. Anyway, it's too bad, I actually really enjoyed her album. "If You Don't Wanna Love Me" really should have been a hit.

Anonymous said...

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/stuck.mp3

Mike said...

It's definitely not too late for a comeback. Tamar is still an stunning goddess! And LOL at her inspiring Toni's fashion sense. Toni wishes she could wear baby blue lycra with that much class and style!

Tommy - I love it! I will youtube Toni & Tamar on Wendy Williams ASAP.

Anon - what's the link about?

John said...

I think Tamar was in the audience for the recent Toni Braxton performance on Wendy's TV show. They focused on the mom, but I'm almost positive she was there, too. Holding a water bottle for Toni, I'm sure. But there was some decent stuff on her CD.

Craig said...

Lol at her outfit. I love her already!

Paul said...

I do enjoy lesser successful siblings in pop. Surely Debbie Gibson has a sister out there somewhere?!

Kevin said...

I remember buying the Promo CD Maxi on ebay. It has 3-4 mixes, all by Hex Hector and Mac Quayle.

Anonymous said...

So lame!! As if this slut has anythin on TONI!! 40 million sold!!!!!!

Mr. Will-W. said...

OMG WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT PHOTO? hahahahahaha I LOVED Tamar's one hit single. And I loved the backing vocals she did on most of Toni's albums. Such amazing talent.

Ro Ro said...

I loved Tamars album! I still listen to iydwlm to this day a great song! The hex mix rocks and so does the ballad version. Glad to see she has some love out there still.

bro said...

The Braxtons' album 'So Many Ways' was really good - the highlight being the 10 minute+ version of The Boss - so discotastic!

Anonymous said...

I thought that TONI'S videos like "Seven Whole Days" would be shown at intervals! The Braxtons rock anytime, anywhere, anyhow!! They're just lovable at all times! I just wish that Tamar'll support TONI, who introduced her to Vince in the first place! Don't act in such a way that people'll be turned off!

remember, we all are watching!! Support others to support you!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is a joke right? You people are kidding with this post right? I got sick of looking at her on the braxton family so I decided to try to find ANYTHING that would give her the right to act the way shes does and thats the Song!!!! ROFL Girl please DONT EVER PUT YOUR NAME AND BEYONCE OR LADY GAGA IN THE SAME SENTENCE AGIAN! EVER!

Anonymous said...

I second what Anonymous stated. I sincerely hope the post are in the spirit of being sarcastic. The way Tamar articualtes and present herself is "Thirty-something, new money, and immature.com"

Anonymous said...

just to let you know...that picture is not Toni! They came out in an article saying it wasn't her!

Anonymous said...

First off I love the show. Tamar can be over the top at times, but she is funny as hell and keeps it 100. She actually has a great voice as well as all the sisters. As for the pic posted here, I've seen before and it was rumored to be Toni not Tamar. In actuality, it's NEITHER. The pic is of some random woman who happens to favor the Braxtons. We must really investigate before we run with it.

Ronald Ingram (Vegas) said...

You'll find me on facebook (Vince or Tamar)I've written a song for Tamar, Vince hit me up Ron Ingram

Anonymous said...

That is NOT Tamar you pop tarts!

GrandDiva said...

She sounds awful on that song. I've heard her sound better than that. It's TERRIBLE!!!