Monday, March 22, 2010

Introducing Kyrah

Watch out, pop fans. The first Ke$ha clone has officially arrived and she's packing one of 2010's catchiest anthems! That might sound like a backhanded compliment but there's no denying the similarities between Kyrah's debut single and everything pop music's favourite skank has ever recorded. And there's nothing wrong with that. "Tik Tok" wouldn't have worked without "Just Dance", just as that song owes a large debt to Rihanna's "Dont Stop The Music, which she, in turn, stole from Kat Deluna and so on and so forth all the way back to 1980 when La Toya did everything first. Fact! Anyway, back to Kyrah. To be honest, she's a bit of mystery woman. All I know is that she was born in the UK, raised in the US and has a batch of quirky pop songs streaming on her Myspace. Strangely enough, they're all very different to "Uh Oh". Her older material has a slightly gothic rock edge ("Darker Side" and "Angels In Pain"), while her debut is pure electro-dance. It's definitely a step in the right direction. If you overlook the Ke$ha comparisons, there is so much to love about this fierce party jam. "Uh Oh" has a killer chorus, great production and some of the year's classiest lyrics. I'm also slightly obsessed with the male backing vocalist who says "listen, Kyrah" like a drag queen on heat. And let's face it, any song that opens with "wake up wasted and it's oops I'm naked" was always going to end up on Pop Trash Addicts! I really think this girl can go a long way if she finds her own niche. She's gorgeous, knows how to write a catchy tune and has a great voice. Check out Kyrah's high brow exploration of social mores below. Give it a couple of listens. It's a massive grower.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't get past 10 seconds of this abomination.

- Petro

Copito said...

I like Kyrah better. She's prettier, sings better and you don't have to press the shift button to spell her name.

I hope you've seen this!

John said...

You know I'm not a Ke$ha fan, so it probably won't come as a surprise that I don't like this. I used to blame it on her trashy image, but I really don't like the vocal style (if "sleazy" is a style) that these tracks seem to have.

Mike said...

Petro - Shame 'cause the intro is the worst part!

Copito - LOL. That video is amazing! Ke$ha is such a cultural icon.

John - Ke$ha is growing on me all the time. She's just doing her thing and if that means playing up the party skank angle, so be it. And apart from the first 30 seconds, I think Kyrah's song is very different in style. It's actually quite cute and upbeat.

And news flash....

I've just been told that the male drag queen backing vocalist is actually Kyrah! Scandal!

Jump! said...

I can't believe miss "i wanna be bad" Willa Ford wasn't mentioned in this list of trashy pop vixens.

I bet the sugababesc4.0 wished they were offered songs of this caliber

The Prophet said...

She's cute but the song is terrible.

And the Ke$ha haters need to take it to the left coz Ke$ha is just doin' Ke$ha why you mad? Get off her clit!

undisco_me said...

The chorus is limp and STILL grabs you - well me anyway, I like it. She's going to get flushed down the toilet though, isn't she?

Anonymous said...

Kyrah is better than kesha!!

tommie said...

Not related to this, but it's rumoured that "Sugababes" have been released from their deal with Roc Nation.

Oh, and "Sour 7" is #35 in todays midweeks.

Mike said...

Goodbye, Sugababes. It's been real. Next!

And Gordon surely it's too soon to say whether Kyrah will make it or not. She hasn't even released her first single.

And I can exclusively reveal that The Prophet changed his mind after listening to song blast from my car stereo this evening!

Paul said...

"back to 1980 when LaToya did everything first. Fact" Amazing, true and hilarious :)

Me said...

Opening line is fabulosu, more vocorder and autotune than The Racist One is not.

Feral Beral said...

Kyrah rocks, love the lyrics and catchy beat!I love this song alot, thanks for putting me onto it, great build up to the fabulous chorus, already got my arm flipping moves in place for the dance floor and I may even add it to my ever flowing of fantastic 2010 pophots hits for my drag back catalogue!!! Its a nice song to mime to! LOL Much love and this site is the best on the net!
Yours sincerely
Feral Beral
(A melbourne drag queen with to much time on her hands spent listening to pop music-i'm still waiting for another Melissa Tkautz album!!!)

Anonymous said...

Loving this tune...makes me want to ditch work and head for the nearest club to dance the night away!

Check out her myspace too - she has some other great tracks which will get into your head and never leave - in a good way!

Can't wait to see what she does next!!