Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How On Earth Did This Flop?

In my own little universe Mini Viva's "I Wish", or more specifically the gorgeous Cahill radio edit (below), is a multi-platinum #1 smash hit. I love everything about the poptastic duo's second single. There's an unusual softness to the wistful lyrics, which are perfectly cradled by a lush symphony of synths before exploding into the kind of joyous chorus not heard since the disco era. Just when you thought Xenomania's creative well had run drier than Susan Boyle's ladybits, the producers serve up their best song since Kylie's "Made Of Glass" - only to see it stall at a floptastic #73 on the UK charts. What the fuck? The track is infinitely superior to "Left My Heart In Tokyo" and that landed safely in the top 10. I know "I Wish" was released during the hectic Christmas period but did everyone with taste flee Great Britain in its week of release? If nothing else, Mini Viva's stunning flop makes me less apprehensive about Kylie's rumoured collaboration with Xenomania on her next album. Something along the lines of "I Wish" would suit her perfectly - even if it is chart poison! Hopefully, the girls bounce back with single number three. They put The Saturdays and Girls Aloud to shame.

14 comments:

tommie said...

I Wish is dire. You just have questionable taste.

Mike said...

LOL - don't hold back!

I don't care, you like Leona Lewis so your opinion is automatically invalid.

undisco_me said...

Counting Down The Days did this sound better in 2007 and at least had the decency to deature male torso's on the beach.

I agree, it's nice, but the Sunfreakz/Andrea Britton song is the bigger dick to suck on.

tommie said...

Pfft. Write about the amazing Marina album instead! (even if she does sound like the glorious Kate Bush at some points)

John said...

You have to wonder about the luck of high quality tracks. "Untouchable", which made me actually consider a Girls Aloud CD for the first time, was their only track that missed the Top 10. MV can't even get Top 50 with this, while the fun but not as good "Tokyo" almost went Top 5. Crazy.

Cyber said...

Maybe because it sounds like a retread of GA's The Loving Kind which sounds like a retread of GA's Call The Shots which sound like an almost retread of Rachel's Nothing Good About This Goodbye which was a cover of the Alexis Strum track which was originally produced by Xenomania?

Mike said...

Sorry but "I Wish" > "The Loving Kind" = UNDISPUTABLE FACT!

Anonymous said...

Love this song.... better than the Loving Kind and I worship at the altar of Girls Aloud !!

Paul said...

I was in Vegas, so yes everyone with taste had fled Britain :P

Me said...

I don't get why certain tracks that would be a guaranteed Top 5 smash when released at any other time of the year are stuck out in December or delayed for so long that by the time they are released with little fanfare, usually with poor promotion, meaning they barely scrape the Top 100... AATW did the same to The Goddess meaning Fever wnet unnoticed - and Radio 1 didn't start playing it until a month after the digital EP hit itunes (only to be swiftly removed from playlists when everyone realised it was already a FLOP)...

With I Wish, (and also with Fever), radio was still hammering Tokyo (and ETD) so delaying the release for a couple of months to allow airplay to gather momentum.

Copito said...

I think Booty Luv should be doing now what these 2 girls are doing.
Thanks for sharing this remix 'cause I never heard it before.

John said...

Me, I see where you are coming from, but even Christmas would not keep a Top 5 song from even breaking the Top 50. Having said that, I just don't understand how this song didn't make the Top 50. Radio 1 played "Tokyo" a lot, but I don't recall hearing "I Wish" once. Not that they are the barometer, but their support sure doesn't hurt, either.

Nasty G said...

I am in ABSOLUTE agreement with you on this. This was one of my fave tracks of last year, even in its original state. But I must confess to finding it underwhelming when I first heard it. Once I saw the video, however, I was hooked like a rich man in Vietnam! I think maybe it inspired the same initial reaction in others too. :( It's a total shame it flopped. But I hope it doesn't delay an album release...

Anonymous said...

Thks mike for making me know this great slice of pop from the reynold girls from the new century.

I'm totally addicted to it. Shame it was a flop