Sunday, February 28, 2010

George Michael - Live In Sydney

As you can tell, I had amazing seats!

It's not easy being a fan of 80s pop icons with highly publicised drug habits. I spent Wednesday night bathing in Whitney's sweat soaked glamour before doing it all over again on Friday at George Michael's Sydney show. The concerts couldn't have been more different - George was actually lucid and sang in tune - but I enjoyed them both equally. Albeit for very different reasons. Whitney was a hot mess but there was something unusually intimate about her trainwreck of a tour. George, on the other hand, was the epitome of professionalism. Everything from the staging to the setlist was immaculate and he cemented his reputation as a consummate live performer. Having just stumbled home from Mardi Gras, I'm not quite up to writing a proper review but here are some random thoughts on the George Michael experience:

1. The man still looks hot - especially for a middle aged pothead. George, call me if you get bored. We'll smoke a bowl and cruise some beats!

2. Time has not wearied the brilliance of "Fast Love", "Too Funky" and "Freedom" one iota.

3. Dita Von Teese almost stole the show with her saucy video montage.

4. "My Mother Had A Brother" gets me every time. Without a doubt one of the most heartbreaking songs about homosexuality ever written.

5. Speaking of gayness, dedicating "Amazing" to (his partner) Kenny was a nice touch. I also liked the banter about Mardi Gras and his amusing warning about over-zealous policemen.

6. I wish he'd leave "Roxanne" to Sting. It was one of the night's few misfires.

7. The ballad section was lovely. George has one of the most underrated voices in pop music.

8. "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" and "I Want Your Sex" were glaring omissions. I would have also loved to hear "Monkey" and "Precious Box".

9. Vodka and Johnny Walker don't mix. Believe me, I learned the hard way.

10. The highlight of the night was "Outside". The video projections were amazing and George rocked that police uniform.

11 comments:

The Prophet said...

I didn't even know that he was in Australia.

I think he's disgusting anyways promoting public cruising in parks and stuff where kids could see, or just anybody in general.

When you leave your house you shouldn't have to be greeted with some washed-up, cracked out old queen getting rogered by the side of the road.

He's really disgusting and he needs to keep his sex life off the streets and stop driving when he's trashed so he doesn't end up killing some innocent person.

Also, knowing that he didn't perform "wake me up before you go go" makes me hate him more. That's a fan favorite and even casual fans who went because they got a free ticket or something would still know that song.

John said...

As a fan from the get-go, I have no problem with George not singing "Go Go". He's in his 40s, and he has so much better material than that. His greatest hits CD is a double-disc, so how can he be expected to sing every hit? Sounds like a great show...he didn't come anywhere near Denver when he toured, so I missed out.

undisco_me said...

Did he sing Waiting For That Day? That one and Freedom 90 are the only songs I really love.

Me said...

How fabulous! I am still kicking myuself for missing TwentyFive Live for various reasons.

Mr. Will-W. said...

amazing. i had the best time at the 25 tour. he's still got it. i just wish he wrote songs like he used to.

here are my pics from the show:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32712&id=513646622&l=c88e2a6079

Paul said...

great write up - i'm a casual fan but i do enjoy his songs and this has got me to go and listen to a fair few right now. Too Funky reminds effortlessly amazing - would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?!

WJW In Oz said...

Nice review, agree with most of what you said here... I flew down from Brisbane to see him on Friday... money well spent... and yes, "Outside" was one of my highlights as well.

For man of his age, he still made me go weak at the knees, and pretty much did the same to every female fan that was sitting near me ;-)

Mike said...

John - I'm not upset he didn't perform "Go Go". I just kind of expected it given how iconic the song is.

Will - Great pics!

Prophet - It's not like George is the spokesman for outdoor sex. And I think people wandering around bushes in the dead of night know what they're in for!

Anonymous said...

It was an amazing show!

Anonymous said...

ok 'The prophet' u clearly dont know what george michael is all about to make suck stupid comments...hes not promoting public cruising.....tht incident happend along time ago when he was depressed coz his mother had just passed away and struggling with the fact he was gay...no one is perfect in this world...i think george is amazing tht he can look bak at tht and laugh, and have a good joke about it with his fans.

Love u George <3

A1 said...

it was absolutley flawless!
Outside becomes my #1 again, and then Telephone will be back on top !:)
www.a1charts.blogspot.com