Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Whatever Happened To Natalie Miller?

As far as I'm concerned Young Talent Time is the greatest show in the history of Australian television. Running for 17 years between 1971 and 1988, YTT helped launch the careers of several international superstars and became an integral part of many people's childhood including my own. I've written about the show's biggest stars (the legendary Tina Arena and the Queen of Clubs herself, Dannii Minogue) many times but I've never mentioned my other favourite castmate - the fabulous Natalie Miller. Anyway, I was rummaging through a box of my old CDs recently and was excited to find a copy of the underrated diva's one and only single. Released in 2000, "Gonna Miss Your Love" got some radio play and Natalie performed the song on a couple of TV shows but it didn't exactly set the charts on fire. I blame Max22.

Natalie's voice sounds great and the chorus is addictive but it's hard to shine when you've been teamed with the worst rapper in Australian history (and that's saying something). It's a shame because the song blends Latin and dance elements rather amusingly and Nat looks sexy in her white leather. No comment about that bird's nest on her head though! Despite the fact that Natalie never released another single (to my knowledge), she still maintained a reasonably high profile as a backing vocalist. For many years she was a staple of the live music scene and regularly performed as part of Kylie's band whenever she toured Australia. However, Natalie seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. I really hope she's still out there plugging away, bringing her unique glamour to pubs and clubs across the country. If anyone knows any information about this 80s icon, please let me know. In the meantime, check out the video for her lost Australian pop "classic":

14 comments:

John said...

Real McCoy sued their asses for this blatant ripoff, right? She does alright, but it's pretty generic backing vocals. The best part of the video is when Max looks at me, er, the camera and says "Gonna Miss Your Love". It's all downhill from there.

Miss Halliwell said...

what the fuck does Max have down his leather slacks?! Is that where he keeps his talent?! LOL

Natalie is a fab vocalist though... good post Mrs
x

tommie said...

What on earth is wrong with her hair?!

Miss Halliwell said...

Her hair was destroyed in a tropical heatwave which swept Ox in 1999. It can now be seen on Bondi Beach masquerading as a birds nest!

Miss Halliwell said...

Oz, not Ox LOL

Jump! said...

I thought Max was doable until the part of the video where he is sporting that madonna-styled mic on his face. The rapping part is pointless. Was that savage garden "i want you" starting at the end of the clip?

Mike said...

Poor Natalie, the styling is all kinds of hideous! Hopefully, she was in on the joke when it comes to her hair... although Deirdre's explanation also strikes me as being highly likely.

I love the end of the video with the spider web! LOL

Mark said...

Just to ad some extra Natalie releases in her career, she released a single with Vince form YTT in 89 I believe (refer to your copies of Smash Hits) and she was the vocalist for Aussie band who's debut single was 'He Said She Said' I think it was released in 2002 or 2003 I can't recall the bands name

Mark said...

It just hit me, she was in the band called Brat, their first single was He Said, She Said...in stock at all good Dixons stores around Victoria

Scott said...

According to urban legend (or a record company pal of mine at the time) Max22 was a truck driver who won the lotto and basically bought himself a record deal. I asked Natalie about this song not long after when I met her at a party and she didn't much want to talk about it. I think her bits are great. Oh! I just remembered going to a record launch she had for a band in about 2002 at Candy's Apartment in the Cross... I can't remember the name of the band at all, but it was Transvision Vamp-style pop/rock.
Scott

Mike said...

Hey Mark & Scott!

Thanks for the info. "He Said, She Said" actually rings a bell. I might have to sift through my old boxes of CDs and look for it. Hopefully, I can track it down.

And LOL at Max being a multi-millionaire truckdriver. I so wouldn't be surprised! No wonder Nat's keeping her involvement on the downlow...

Scott said...

Brat! That was it!

D'luv said...

Further to what Jump! said, *I* thought Max was doable till he opened his mouth—which could clearly be put to better uses.

You guys are all really mean to Natalie, though—she looks great for apparently having magically aged from 12 to 56 within a 15-year span.

Anonymous said...

Bump into natalie miller tonight at a place on marion st leichhdart Sydney . Little Sicily .. She was having dinner with friends . Saw in the ladies and as a crazy YTT fan I was so excited to have a short chat with her .. So pretty