Monday, October 19, 2009

Ness Ness At Number 1!

My copy of Vanessa's #1 smash hit

Bow down to Australia's new Queen of Pop! Tonight Vanessa Amorosi is celebrating the first #1 hit of her decade long career. It's hard to believe that modern classics like "Absolutely Everybody" and "Have A Look" stalled outside the top 5, so this is long overdue. The achievement is all the more impressive when you consider Vanessa's competition. "This Is Who I Am" had to outsell new releases from Britney and Robbie Williams - making it a rare triumph for good taste and talent! I'm so happy for Ness Ness. She's gone from strength to strength since staging her comeback and this cements her spot in the upper echelon of Australian pop. I've already written about my love for "This Is Who I Am" but I still can't get enough of it. There's just something ruthlessly catchy and uplifting about this tune. The lyrics are a raised middle finger to her haters (Ness don't care if she's fat or if you think her clothes are bad), Machopsycho's production steals every trick in Max Martin's book and she looks all kinds of sexy on the single cover! Shame about the tragic video (below) though. At least the scene where she's flying on a cloud is good for comedy value and I guess it's not her fault if CGI hasn't quite made its way to Australia. Anyway, congratulations Vanessa. You've come a long way from dancing around Liverpool Plaza!

15 comments:

Petro said...

I'm so happy for her. What a comeback! If you had told me 3 years ago, that Vanessa Amorosi would have a #1 single in 2009, I'd be laughing!

I can't wait to meet her (and her brand new nose!) again and personally congratulate her.

tommie said...

It's shite. I would rather listen to The Prophet ranting all day than this tripe.

John said...

Another example of a video that will have to be remade if they want to release it anywhere else.

D'luv said...

She does a good job tucking her piece.

Stuck For Interesting Alias said...

It deserves to be #1 purely for the hooker fishnets she is wearing on the cover!

Guy said...

Oh god that may as well be a fan-made clip. What were they thinking? Like the song though. Good on her...

Ro Ro said...

The vid is kinda bad but it reminds me alot of the 80's. I really do like this song. Puts a red wig on and shows off my cleavages lol.

Johnny D said...

When did Australian record companies drop video budgets to $50? Pretty good song, but that video is nasty!

I am waiting for a post from the prophet about how Janet is better than Vanessa!!!

Petro said...

I like the cartoonish quality of the video!

CJC said...

this song is every kind of excellent.

love. love. love.

the video.....not so much.

Kez said...

The lyrics of this song are perfect for where I'm at in life right now and I really relate.
But it's so hard to enjoy. The music is kind of dated for some reason, and the video sucks!

bomitoni said...

I liked the song. The video looks like a SIMS video come to life, but I guess that's part of it's charm. I don't know much about her other than her failed attempt to crack the US back in the day, but what's up w/ the nosejob?? She looks like wrestler Chyna!!! Or Khloe Kardashian.

Paul said...

i am super pleased that nessness is number oneone. hurrah etc. Only just caught up on this as been in Gay Canaria. We must catch up and discuss the TRAVESTY that is Cherevyl being number one :/ I will be emigrating.

Anonymous said...

her album title is 'this is who I am' ? I don't think so anymore too much surgery!

Myles said...

I read really much effective material here!
Irish Loin Of Pork With Lemon And Herbs