Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Lady GaGa Effect - Ke$ha + Lolene

Say what you like about Lady GaGa and her publicity whoring ways but it's impossible to deny the impact her success has had on the music scene. Since attaining the fame little over a year ago, the stunning beauty has turned electro-pop into a highly sought after commodity - opening the door for a whole new wave of dance divas. While some are happy to imitate (see Cascada's line for line remake of "Just Dance" otherwise known as "Evacuate The Dancefloor"), others (Eva Simons for example) have managed to put their own spin on the GaGa sound. The two ladies featured in this post definitely fall into the latter category. Ke$ha has been on my radar since actually making a Flo Rida song sound good. While her vocal on "Round Round" helped raise her profile, the 22 year old (in GaGa years?) looks set to hit the big time courtesy of the insanely catchy "Tik Tok". Ke$ha's anthem and video clip explore very similar territory to "Just Dance" and the track boasts some of the best/most dubious lyrics since "Poker Face" but it still sounds fresh and relatively original. "Tik Tok" is a winner largely due to Ke$ha's larger than life personality, the chunky beats and its universal theme. Who doesn't like alcohol and dancing? Given the quality of the songs on her Myspace, I'd say Ke$ha is here to stay. At least until the dance-pop revival runs out of steam or she stops sucking Diddy's cock.

The next beneficiary of Lady GaGa's success is the slightly demented Lolene. I love this crazy bitch but I seriously doubt she would currently be signed to Capitol Records if the fame monster hadn't paved the way first. In the past Lolene would have simply been too risqué for the masses but now her super sleazy image is a selling point. While the shy and retiring English diva shares some common ground with Lady GaGa, I don't think "Sexy People" will trouble "Bad Romance" on the charts. Lolene is quick to point out that this is just preview and not her official debut single but the video (below) is getting a lot of attention for all the wrong reasons. I love the fact that the film clip takes place inside Lolene's vagina and features a couple of drag queens who accidentally left their wigs and dresses at home but I seem to be in the minority. The song itself is a pretty standard dance anthem. It's catchy enough but lacks the bite of Ke$ha's hit. "Sexy People" is apparently not indicative of the rest of her album, which raises the question of why she bothered releasing it in the first place. Anyway, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Anyone who calls their blog Lolene's Disco Vagina is alright by me!

18 comments:

Brian Chang said...

VAGINA EXPRESSS LOL

Nasty G said...

I have been in love with Kesha and Tik Tok for some time now. It has been my anthem!! Great one to start the weekend with. And the video features another favourite of mine, Dirt Nasty aka Simon Rex. ;) I'm not sure if you noticed, but Pop Addicted has posted a compilation of a ton of her demos for download:

http://popaddicted3.blogspot.com/search/label/Kesha

And I am now fascinated with the skanky Lolene! Thanks for the tip! xo

bomitoni said...

I wonder if Lady Caca has started paying royalties to Dale Bozzio for basically ripping off her entire look.

Anyone who has neon flashing lights shooting up into their vagina is more than OK in my book!!!

Ro Ro said...

I wonder if Madge paid lady gaga for stealing her entire look for her celebration video? I totally agree that she has opened the door for more dance/electro pop getting airplay. It's so fagulous!!! She's unleashed some new poptrash diva's in the making.

Anonymous said...

all girls mentioned, gaga included, are products of chart topping producers and major label machines that buy these girls slots on "billboard dance charts"...the dance diva effect has been strong on the underground for a long hot minute (see peaches, amanda blank, uffie, purple crush, thunderheist)....all these women are products of the CLUB.

Craig said...

I cant stop laughing at lolene! Thanks for bringing her to my attention. Sexy People is the VIDEO OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!

Mike said...

Thanks for the link, Grant. Ke$ha's demos are hot. The album should be amazing.

And I'm glad Lolene's found some love. Discovering her Disco Vagina made my week!

John said...

I must be in the minority here, 'cause Kesha sounds like part Cascada, part GaGa, part Katy Perry and all crap. The Lolene isn't too bad, though.

Dirty Hands I Demand said...

Not a single mention of all the new Dannii releases? Mike, you are FIRED!

Chicago_Sexbox said...

Speaking of Dannii, I believe all of these bitches, including Gaga, need to bow down to the mother of electro-pop Miss Dannii Minogue. Can you imagine if Neon Nights had been released in 2009? I am sure it would be certified 10 times platinum by now!

Honorable mention to Holly Valance's "State of Mind"

Anonymous said...

Lolene is amazing loving her songs Kesha song dont like it

gaga fan

tommie Dalberg said...

I heard a rumour that Mike is wanking off to the Cheryl Cole cd. Is that true? If so I'm never visiting this blog again.

Anonymous said...

ke$ha's sound is a total rip on Uffie from a few years back.

Anonymous said...

Lady GaGa actually has musical ability.

Anonymous said...

Hey if you guys like lolene and love dancing then you havee to enter her "break your heel" contest! send in a video of yourself dancing in heels to her song to DanceJam! check it out http://dancejam.com/contests/lolene

Lady Gaga Tickets said...

Has anyone purchased Lady Gaga Tickets from the website http://lady-gaga-tickets.doitbigtickets.com/

Lady Gaga Tickets said...

Has anyone purchased Lady Gaga Tickets from the website http://lady-gaga-tickets.doitbigtickets.com/

Kesha Tour said...

Kesha is so hot that I dont blame anyone from wanting to kiss her. I can't wait to see her solo on the Kesha Tour when I catch her concerts here in NY by me. Hope to see you there.