Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Agnes' Australian Makeover

It's time for me to eat some humble pie and admit that I was wrong about "Release Me". I still think that the average piece driftwood has more charisma than Agnes Carlsson and remain completely unconvinced about the quality of "Dance Love Pop" but her international breakthrough has grown on me to a ridiculous extent. There's just something utterly irresistible about those disco strings and that anthemic chorus. Imagine how amazing the song would sound if the writers had given it to an actual human being instead of a soulless Swedish robot! But I digress. Since being released in early July "Release Me" has doggedly hung around the lower reaches of the Australian top 100 (currently sitting at #64) but failed to make much of an impact. However, the song is finally starting to gather some upward momentum as a result of increased radio airplay, the onset of summer and a sizzling batch of freshly commissioned local remixes. Which is the whole point of this post. I'm wondering what you all think of the new Australian radio edit courtesy of Todd Watson:


Todd Watson Radio Edit

As far as I'm concerned the Moto Blanco Mix is still hard to beat for a hit of pure pop goodness but I really like this. Todd does the impossible and gives Agnes a bit of an edge. His version is dark and brooding yet still true to the original. I just think it might be a bit too much for Australian radio. To hear the other local remixes check out Neon's youtube channel. Speaking of new and improved Agnes tracks, Scandipop recently revealed that a new mix of "I Need You Now" will be Scandinavian diva's second single in the UK. I love what they've done with the song and hope the entire album is given a similiar overhaul. Oh and if Swedish pop floats your boat and you live in London, make sure you head along to Scandipop Live on the 29th of September to check out BWO. I'd go along just to throw things at Alexander Bard!

12 comments:

Paul said...

I think all the internationals should fly over and do the BWO concert!! What a fun night that would be :P

Peibols said...

In Spain, even in Huesca, it's starting to be popular.

And stuff.

John said...

She will get the half-court press here, and peak somewhere outside the top 40. But the Moto Blanco mix is epic, and that local mix is definitely a cool take on the track.

tommie said...

They've done a new video for Release Me which will premiere sometime this week, so it should help her cause too.

tommie said...

Oh and the new mix of I Need You Now is ace, even if I tend to agree with Mike's sentiment on her persona...

Robpop said...

Wow!!! Mike!

I remember the HUGE debates about this! You were so anti-Release Me/Agnes. I even remember you had a few things to say about the way she pronounced a certain letter! :-0
I treasure such debates. I think that was in Pizza Express. Come back babes...

I might make it to scandipop this time.

undisco_me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

Is there an MP3 avail of the Todd Watson remix - or is it floating around? I never cared for the original, but his mix is good.

Craig said...

I prefer that remix too. When's it being released physically?

Mike said...

Undisco_me, why did you delete your comment? I can't stop laughing at your description of Agnes as "a wig on turd"! LOL

The Todd Watson mix hasn't been released commercially and Neon sadly don't release physical singles.

undisco_me said...

Mike, I just dread to think what state her bathroom walls are in!

I felt bad slating the remix - I think it's lukewarm and dillutes the aggression of Agnes making things 'perfectly clear' etc. But if the remixer is doing it to make it palatable for Australian gays then I am all for it.

I like the Cahill bassline, it totally rapes you with its charm.

Aaron said...

Love it! Can't wait for some big stuff to happen here!