Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Katy Perry's Australian Tour EP

I haven't written a lot about Katy Perry on this blog - mainly because every time I mention her name I get shouted down by rabid haters throwing around accusations of rampant publicity whoring and homophobia. One day I'll write a post addressing that rubbish but it will have to wait until I have more time because that's going to be quite an essay. In the meantime, I'll stick to raving about Katy's amazing Australian tour EP - classily titled "Hello Katy". With physical singles harder to find than hits in La Toya's discography and iTunes now charging $2.19 for a fucking download, EMI has bucked the trend and delivered an absolute smorgasbord of Katy Perry goodness for a very reasonable price. I'm not sure how many copies the EP will sell (given how hard it is to find) but I have no doubt the label will more than recoup its investment in goodwill from fans. Which is a valuable asset in and of itself.

Unfortunately, I couldn't attend Katy's tour but this is a great little souvenir. I love the cover art and the tracklisting is very generous - if a little hit and miss. The EP kicks off with a couple of quirky covers. A lot of acts have interpreted MGMT's "Electric Feel" (including my future husband Andy Bull) but Katy's version is one of my favourites. It strips the song back to basics and puts all the emphasis on Katy's voice, which is considerably sweeter than usual. "Electric Feel" is followed by a similar re-imagining of Sam Sparro's "Black & Gold". I don't like this as much, possibly because I find the original so grating. Next up is "I Think I'm Ready", which most fans will know as a "One Of The Boys" bonus track. The song is very cute and shows Katy's softer side. I guess the same could be said for the acoustic version of "Thinking Of You", which is one of the standouts from her album. Say what you want about her but the woman can sing and knows how to knock out an insightful lyric.

The rest of "Hello Katy" is comprised of remixes of varying quality. Calvin Harris has been on fire in 2009 but his remix of "Waking Up In Vegas" is the worst kind of noise pollution. The Dr. Luke & Benny Blanco mix of "I Kissed A Girl" fares considerably better and I'll definitely be whipping this out at my next faux lesbian themed house party. Bimbo Jones are a Nicki French remix away from being the new Almighty but I love their particular brand of low brow dance trash. I prefer the original but their take on "Hot N Cold" is also pretty irresistible (below). The EP concludes with a fairly tame mix of "Ur So Gay" - the song that put all the gays off side in the first place. I still find it completely inoffensive and think it makes a fitting conclusion to a fun collection of not-so-rare Katy rarities! Well done, EMI.

15 comments:

Paul said...

Ugh. Catwee Peepee. I don't hate her for any of the reasons you say, i just don't like her. She bugs the poo out of me. Just one of those things. On the other hand, kudos to the label for doing something a bit creative in getting the music out there. If only more would do that!

tidusin said...

I'm surprised that you like Katy!

I discovered her with Ur So Gay and last summer in London made the rest...

Sometimes I think that I like her music, but I love her because of all the haters, who think that Lady Gaga must be a miracle and claim Katy to sing bad live and write fake-lesbo songs.

She's fun, she's colourful, and she disguised herself as the worm of an apple on the MTV EMAs, so I can't find a single reason to not love her.

Cristián said...

What a brilliant line!!!:

"Bimbo Jones are a Nicki French remix away from being the new Almighty(...)"

No one else but you, Mike, could have put it better.
:)

ccmartini said...

I love Katy!
she rocks and live she brings it too.
She's a star

KatyBitchy said...

Mike, Katy Perry is the scum of the Earth, a homophobic bitch, and hope she dies.

Mike, deal with that. Mmmkay?

Parker said...

I just think she's another Avril Lavigne whith an average Avril Lavigne album that was clever enough to say yes to Dr Luke and Cathy Dennis, her hits are their fault. That utterly boring third and fourth single is the proof that she's not better than Avrile Lavigne. is not the clothes that make you fun or clever. She's just shit dressed as an apple. But I do like the Dr Luke songs.

Mike said...

Hey CC! You should totally do a sexy duet with Katy. Lesbians around the globe would go into a wild frenzy.

And I don't see the Avril comparisons at all. I actually quite like her too but Katy is way more pop.

Natty said...

I secretly love Katy Perry. I find her far more interesting than fucking Lady Blah Blah. Usually I secretly groan and giggle at Mike's fabulous taste in trashy pop, but the fact he likes Katy Perry gets 2 thumbs up from me! I just hope he'll come and see S2S with me in Sydney!

D'luv said...

"Hot N Cold" made the Chart Rigger list of the 10 Best Singles Of 2008. I LOVE "Electric Feel," and in fact the MGMT original got an honorable mention in the same list of singles.

As for CC Martini, I've had my mouth up parts of her.

tommie said...

Shitty Smelly is EVIL.

Aaron said...

Ok - I'm not really a fan of Katy Perry. Just a lot of stuff has got on my nerves and I've never really liked her music (except for Hot N Cold) - but I think some of Waking Up In Vegas is slowly making me come around. I think I'm slowly tip-toeing into Katy Perry land...:)

Cyber said...

Say what you want about Katy but you can't deny that she knows how to write a fucking amazing chorus.

Robpop said...

I think the Avril comparisons come from the fact that they've both worked with the Maxtrix (on Katy's second album-it was shelved but you can now get it in certain territories).

As for the "controversial" aspects of Katy Perry...you can't escape the fact that Katy uses the term gay in casually derogatory way. I can utterly understand why AllMusic called the lyrics as "gay baiting". While it isn't homophobic in the same manner as certain rappers I think she has an attitude about her that just doesnt sit well with me. Its a very mild form of bullying. Its also stilted too. As a song. What is more, Madonna said "Ur So Gay" is her favourite songs of the last few years...which says a lot.

Saying that though, some of her pop is irresistible (Hot N Cold). I applaud the Australian label for releasing a physical cd. How yummy! Oh i detest downloads. I want something in my hands.

undisco_me said...

I can't stand her annoying side-face/hand-to-the-mouth 'is that 3 cocks in front of me?' mock gasp. Dannii would just be in a sling getting on with it.

I like Hotn'Cold, but everything else is so dire.

Yuяi said...

Don't even get me started about Katy Perry. I think she's a total twat, but I do like "Hot N Cold" - so much so that it was my #1 song of 2008. Go figure...it must have been that awesome Bimbo Jones remix that did it for me.