Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Pile Of "X"crement!

Sometimes it is seriously hard work being a Kylie fan. Particularly when her various record companies around the world relentlessly bleed fans dry with shoddy products that invariably include recycled covers, shitty remixes or dodgy tracklistings. Well, Warner Australia has hit the mother load by delivering all three with their highly anticipated "X - Tour Edition". I really don't know where to start because this whole package STINKS. I guess I'll begin with the cover. Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you'll recognise it as the iconic UK "In My Arms" cover. I suppose using the same image for the UK edition of "Wow" as well as the European version of "In My Arms" - not to mention the Australian release of "In My Arms" - wasn't cost effective enough. For good measure they have tacked another familiar "X" image on the back. Waste not, want not. Then there's my biggest gripe. No new tracks. Would it have broken the bank to stick on "Ruffle My Feathers", "That's Why They Write Love Songs" or "Flower"? It's meant to be a tour edition for fuck's sake! Is it really too much to ask that they include songs that she actually sings on the tour? Instead we're given a bunch of sub-standard remixes that have, for the most part, already been released. The cheap arse tracklist is below:

1. 2 Hearts (Harris & Masterson Extended Mix)

Already released as an MSN digital download

2. 2 Hearts (Alan Braxe Remix)

Already available on the Australian "2 Hearts" CD Single

3. The One (Freemasons Vocal Club Mix)

Already available on the Australian "The One" digital bundle

4. Wow (David Guetta Remix)

Already available on the Australian "Wow" digital bundle

5. Wow (CSS Remix)

Already available on the Australian "Wow" digital bundle

6. In My Arms (Chris Lake Vocal Mix)

Already available on the Australian "In My Arms" digital bundle

7. In My Arms (Steve Pitron and Max Sanna Remix)

Already available on the Australian "In My Arms" digital bundle

8. In My Arms (Sebastien Leger Remix)

Already available on the Australian "In My Arms" CD Single

9. In My Arms (Spitzer Remix)

Already available on the Australian "In My Arms" digital bundle

10. All I See Featuring Mims (Remix)

Only available as an American promo single

All but the final track have already been released in Australian or been made available to Australian fans. The laziness on display is galling. If they have to use remixes, why not include some of the harder to find US mixes of "All I See" or the fabulous Benny Blanco remix of "Heart Beat Rock", which to my knowledge hasn't even been released as a promo. There isn't a single redeeming factor about the whole package. We have literally seen and heard it all before. And yet, being a demented Kylie collector, I will still go out and hand over my $25 for this piece of "X"crement. A fact that record companies rely on and ruthlessly manipulate. Rant over.


Tony Tornado said...

As we say in spanish:
caca de vaca.

But I still want it...

Peibols said...

Kylie is always copycatting Dannii.

Now she tries to be as lazy as Dannii. Really sad.

Magical Froggy said...

I agree with every word. It's not worth the plastic it's pressed on. And to cap it off, that back cover image is revolting. She looks like a reject that's been shooed away from the set of Flash Gordon (and I mean the recent low budget series, not the movie).

The most shocking thing is that my OCD will mean I have to buy it. What's wrong with me?!


Aaron said...

That's a pile of Crap!

Would it kill them to stick a b-side, some of the TOUR tracks & maybe even a demo?

BTW - Check my blog you'll be in for a nice surprise :)

Justin said...

I have to admit I do like the artwork but the remix disc is so lazy. Could they not tack on at least the Heart Beat Rock remix and the Wow (Radio Edit)? I'll still end up getting this though.

D'luv said...

This is complete trash.

On another note, can you believe it's a year ago almost that X came out?!?

Johnny D said...

Absolutely pathetic. There's at least 10-15 really good tracks that could have been included. "Tripping Me Up", "In The Mood For Love" or "When The Cats Away" or "Magnetic Electric" would've been nice.

So lazy of the record company. It's shoddy crap like this that forces fans to illegally download rarities.

And in other news, Dannii's "Early Years" has been reduced to delayed, digital only and containing no unreleased songs.

Merry Fucking Christmas from the Minogue family.

Scarlett said...

Wow (David Guetta Remix)

Already available on the Australian "Wow" digital bundle

Not to mention a pile of total poo. I hate that remix with a passion. :( Why'd they leave out the Death Metal Disco Scene mixes? They were great!!

What a lazy release! They had a real opportunity here to release something worthy of X's fabness and wasted it. :(

Adem With An E said...

It's unbelievable. Do you think it's going to sell, what with the tour coming up? I suppose they're betting on shifting a few units and, thus, they feel there's no need to bother with putting together an actual collection people may find genuinely exciting.


Paul said...

sigh. words fail me.

Robpop said...

Odd. While I agree to this to a certain extent...we both know why the current tracklisting exists as it does. Actually, I think it was you who explained it all to me. Mixes simply cost less. New tracks don't.

Anonymous said...

Oh please Bobby-poo-poo! Talk about not getting it... Most of these mixes have never been released on CD format. Just because you like MP3 file formats, it doesn't mean that the rest do. A lot of people like to have the music on CD format, and I think this is a great way of doing it.

So yeah, almost all of the tracks on CD2 are previously unavailable on CD. That's good enough.

Jamie said...

Couldn't you just burn them on to a disc though anonymous? Talk about not getting it...

Jay said...

While it is a rather crappy tracklist, did anyone seriously expect anything else? Warners don't seem to believe in decent products and previous Kylie tour editions and reissues have all been rather crappy with the possible exception of the Fever Hyper Edition. Though you'd think they would at least have put Cherry Bomb on there.

The AS Tour Edition is a lot better.