Monday, April 14, 2008

Tina Arena Goes Disco!

It's been a busy couple of weeks for Tina Arena. First came the surprise announcement that she will host the UK auditions of Australian Idol with Darren Hayes (I can't wait to see Tina back on Australian TV but can someone please explain why we need UK auditions?) and the news that her magnificent "Songs Of Love & Loss" album is being re-released on the 21st of April complete with a bonus disc of live performances. However, the most exciting Tina development as far as I'm concerned is her brilliant cover of the Bee Gees' "Night Fever" for a French film soundtrack.

"Night Fever" is perfect fodder for this woman's formidable pipes and she delivers a stunning interpretation. I love Tina's recent output but it's fantastic to see her in a less serious mood. Watching Tina perform the song on a French TV show (below) gave me flashbacks to the glory days of Young Talent Time! The camp sequined costumes, the obvious miming (Edit: I'm told this was actually performed live. All I can say is - WOW!!), the hilarious dance routine - the only thing missing is Johnny Young! As far as I'm aware there are no plans to release "Night Fever" as a French single but that shouldn't stop her Australian label snapping this disco delight up as fast as they can. Tina hasn't produced anything this fabulously entertaining since the trashy "Symphony Of Life" remixes and it should be made available to legally download by her legion of loyal fans!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

this was a live performance

Mike said...

Seriously? I know Tina's amazing but that sounds exactly like the studio version. At one point she's not even singing into the microphone...

Not that it matters. It's a great performance regardless!

Phil said...

definitely live. there were quite loud backing vocals in some parts which i think is the bit u mentioned. i got an HD copy and its much more obviously live on that :)
i love this woman so much i can't wait to hear the bonus disc of the deluxe release!!

Mike said...

Wow, I'm so impressed! I have the HD version too and this is uncannily close. She really is an astounding talent!

I want an album of disco classics next, please Tina!

Paul said...

oh i kind of forgot about tina arena and am eager to embrace her back into my life! She has an amazing voice, and you are right an album of disco classics (or a cover of Will YOung's Switch It On) would the equiv of creamy goodness out of the top of some young bucks aussie bums...

And oh! UK auditions? Yay for tina being back on the box but Darren? Yawn.

RV said...

the film soundtrack it is from is called "Disco" but even in France only two tracks (by Christophe Willem) are available for legal downloads per track. The Tina Arena song is available ONLY with the album 9.99€ bundle :( ...yet

Jay said...

You need UK Auditions because half the Australian population is currently staffing London Hotspots.

Mike said...

Paul - I completely share your opinion of Darren Hayes. I want to like him but his music is so boring and he is generally annoying. I hope Tina puts him in check! You should check out Tina's "Songs Of Love & loss" album, it's gorgeous!

RV - And record companies wonder why people illegally download music! I wonder what other songs are on the soundtrack, I love disco so I might get it anyway.

Jay - I assume they're also holding auditions in Bali and Phuket then?!

Walter said...

Fab news - I want her to do a full disco album a la Sheena Easton!
Love your blog, btw.

Magical Froggy said...

You sure that's Tina in your picture? It looks a lot more like Cher in that Frozen video on YouTube! :D

tommie said...

This is all nice and well for Tina Arena, but I personally believe this blog needs a MIRACLE.

Anonymous said...

Mike, doll, I luv ya, but Tina Arena?!?! She sucks and sucks! No wonder only the French like her (hello Jerry Lewis!).

Mike said...

Thanks, Walter. I second that suggestion. Tina needs to listen to Sheena's "Fabulous" for inspiration!

MF - Of course that's Tina (with a little help from Photoshop)!

Tommie - I'm only going to post Mimiracle when you can find me a decent picture of her. Preferably with baps out!

And Anon, Tina Arena most certainly does not suck!! Go and listen to "Just Me" and repent!!

AcidJasmine said...

yay! tina arena doin disco. Agree re Syphany of Life remixes. They are AWESOME though hard to come by.

Miss Halliwell said...

UK Auditions are as pointless as Madonna's Chastity Belt!

True that the Oz celebs migrate over here in droves but the 'normal' Aussies are picking potato's in Ireland i think! LOL

'Work Permit' for Dannii anyone?!

As for Ms Arena...she is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Part of the reason for the UK & US auditions is that after several Oz Idol seasons, the show has started to milk the talent pool a liitle dry. They need to venture out a bit to get the general level of quality of applicants back up.