Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kylie - In My Arms

With the hugely anticipated release of Dannii's "Club Disco" next week (for details check out Dannii's Dirty Box!), it's easy to forget that Kylie's latest Australian single hit shelves yesterday. "In My Arms" hasn't generated a lot of interest in Australia, which is a shame because it's a cracking pop tune. Calvin Harris has created something fresh and original, yet quintessentially Kylie. I love the spoken bits - "How do you describe a feeling?" is already iconic among fans - and the hands in the air chorus is still divine more than a year after the song's initial leak. I put the lukewarm response down to the complete absence of promotion and the delay in announcing concert dates. What the hell is going on, Warner Australia?

On a brighter note, the single tracklist and digital bundles are a lot of fun. There has been some whinging about the lack of B-sides but I find that a bit rich after the multitude we received with "Wow" and "2 Hearts". This time around, the focus is on remixes and, happily, they include some of the best Kylie has done in years. The tracklistings are as follows:

The Physical Single
1. In My Arms
2. In My Arms (Death Metal Disco Scene Remix)
3. In My Arms (Sebastien Leger Remix)
4. Can't Get You Out Of My Head (Greg Kurstin Remix)

iTunes Download Bundle 1
1. In My Arms
2. In My Arms (Death Metal Disco Scene Remix)
3. In My Arms (Sebastien Leger Remix)
4. Can't Get You Out Of My Head (Greg Kurstin Remix)

iTunes Download Bundle 2
1. In My Arms
2. In My Arms (Chris Lake Vocal Mix)
3. In My Arms (Sebastien leger Remix)
4. In My Arms (Steve Pitron & Max Sanna Mix)
5. In My Arms (Spitzer Remix)
6. In My Arms (Death Metal Disco Scene Remix)

I particularly recommend the fantastic Steve Pitron & Max Sanna Mix of "In My Arms" and Greg Kurstin's phenomenal electro reinvention of "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". You can download the bundles from iTunes or order a physical copy from Chaos. I'm sure you've all seen the amazing "In My Arms" video but check out the fabulous 'making of' documentary below. I love Kylie's cake slicing skills - for a minute there you get an amusing glimpse of the suburban Melbourne housewife Kylie most likely would have become if she didn't get lucky, lucky, lucky. Bless.

8 comments:

Justin said...

The remixes for In My Arms really are the best of her career. My favorite has to be the Sebastien Leger Remix which we've had since the European release, the rest are still lovely though.

It's a shame the song will be lucky to even make the top 20 in Australia because it is quintessential Kylie. SHAME ON WARNER AUSTRALIA!!!!! Seems like they couldn't really give a shit and it's been that way since X was released.

Hope some Aus tour dates are announced soon!

Matt said...

I bought my copy!

Jay said...

In My Arms has grown on me since the initial release (mostly due to the fabulous video), but I still have the feeling that it should be faster...

And you aren't getting the "Spitzer Dub Version" which is my favourite mix.

tommie said...

It'll be lucky to chart within the top ten in the UK - it's out next week and hasn't even charted in the top 40 yet! Shame to break that streak in the UK...

Mike said...

Justin - I would be ecstatic if it makes the Oz top 20. I think it will be lucky to make the top 50. It's still nowhere on iTunes.

Matt - I've downloaded the bundles but I still can't find a physical copy anyway. And I've tried several different JB Hi-Fi stores!

Jay - If you read through my Kylie posts, I've always maintained that IMA (despite the fact that I love it to death) is a poor choice of single in the UK & Aus. The fact that the sheep on SayHey love it isn't a good indicator of commercial potential. I love the Spitzer Dub too.

Tommie - I hope it does scrape into the top 10 but it's looking increasingly unlikely. Having grown up a Dannii & La Toya fan, I really don't give a shit about the charts but it would be a shame to break the streak on a good song, while stinking trash like "Giving You Up" and "Chocolate" sailed into the top 10 with ease!

*rant over*

bubu said...

oh, god, I've just seen this:

35 * KYLIE MINOGUE - In My Arms

and immediately checked your blog to see if you were saying something. as i see now, this floptastic entry was expected by oz fans...
well, to me it's the confirmation:
Kylie is chasing Dannii's career!

Mike said...

Yeah Bubu, it's really not a surprise at all. Radio ignored it, the video was never played and there was no promotion. It's almost like it was released as a contractual obligation - the record company showed no interest in it whatsoever.

Piers said...

Pretty helpful piece of writing, thanks so much for your post.
Western stores | Spanish websites | massage happy ending