Monday, January 07, 2008

Aus Pop Flashback - Jackson Mendoza

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and brought in the new year with a bang. I've enjoyed a short blogging holiday but I'm back and ready to explore new lows in popular music! Unfortunately, nothing much is happening in the pop world at the moment, so I thought I would kick off 2008 with a craptacular flashback post about the very short lived but extremely fabulous Australian girlband, Jackson Mendoza.

The group consisted of two sisters, Natalie and Rebecca, who stood out from the crowd due to their exotic Eurasian looks and their unique brand of girl power pop. Jackson Mendoza only released two singles but both "Venus Or Mars" and "Ordinary Girl" climbed into the top 30 in 2000. "Venus Or Mars", in particular, became a huge radio hit and should be fairly familiar to most of you. I'm not sure why the girls quit after two relatively successful singles but it could have something to do with Rebecca being stabbed by her then husband (who subsequently killed himself).

On a brighter note, both sisters went on to enjoy considerable acting success after Jackson Mendoza disbanded. Rebecca appeared in Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith and The Lord Of The Rings, while Natalie shared the screen with Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge and now appears in the UK television show Hotel Babylon. Eight years have passed since the release of "Venus Or Mars" and "Ordinary Girl" but the songs still sparkle, making Jackson Mendoza one of the more intriguing pop oddities of the decade.

12 comments:

Martin said...

yes! i love jackson mendoza and always wondered why you hadn't done a post on them. Venus or Mars was my fave song of all time for quite a while.. It's very gay with the whole "will you go out with me?".. "but you don't know who you are..." lines. It was almost like they were singing to me, as I played my tomb raider and watched my x files.

Mike said...

I remember "Venus Or Mars" being on the radio all the time, so I was kind of surprised it didn't chart higher than #24. I do think it's an Aus-pop classic. Just a shame that they never released an album!

Anonymous said...

Yes a classic, I'm surprised no album ever materialised, presumably one was planned. Always loved them.

Incidentally, Natalie Mendoza did release a solo CD single, "On My Own" in 1998 - it featured relatively dull trance mixes of the song from the musical Les Miserables, which Natalie was appearing in at the time.

Mike said...

Oh that's very interesting. I'll have to try to track that CD single down. I knew Natalie was working on solo stuff post Jackson Mendoza before running off to the UK with Joseph Fiennes but I didn't know about her previous solo material. Dull trance mixes of "On My Own" sound right up my alley!

Lancasters said...

Hi Mike!!!!!
How are you?????

Please, re-upload the songs, and send me links....

Sara Marie & Sirens - I'm So Excited
Sirens - Like Fire, Like Rain


Do you have this songs, upload and send me, too....

Sirens - The Best Song Ever
Sirens - The Housemates Song (Don't You Think That It's Strange)


Thanks.........

Lancasters said...

Great blog......

Anonymous said...

I picked up the 'On My Own' CD Single for .50c last week - pure trashy fun. I'll see if I can upload some of the mixes for you!

Mike said...

Lancasters - I'll see what I can do about those Sirens songs.

Thanks Anon! I'd love to hear Natalie's trashy solo stuff!

bro said...

ah, Jackson Mendoza...
The Alex K Club mix of Ordinary Girl is quite amazing.

Also, Natalie Mendoza starred in The Descent - one of the best horror movies in recent years.

Mike said...

I love The Descent! It's nice that both of them have gone on to bigger and better things.

Robpop said...

Girlbands...sigh!!! I adore them! Australia needs more!!! and to get the CD albums out rather than shelve them!!! Lets up the the ante on Raen!!!

beketaten said...

Awwww thanks so much for showcasing them! Love those girls. I remember fondly being so curious about them from a set of promotional stickers i got in a Melanie C single ^___^