Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hannah's Dodgy Dealings

One of the best posts to emerge from the short lived but highly amusing Pop Trash Addicts forum honoured Hannah - a one "hit" wonder who garnered a degree of notoriety when it was revealed that her mum bought her a chart placing by purchasing several hundred copies of Hannah's debut single, "No Relief". This Sydney Morning Herald article outlines the situation in greater detail and it still fascinates me.

I can't help but feel sorry for Hannah. She was an utterly craptastic pop star but she tried really hard. I remember Hannah performing at shopping centres all over Sydney and I have a vague recollection of her miming to "No Relief" in a car park! As you can see from the scan, I rescued my beaten up copy of "No Relief" from a Big W bargain bin and it was $1 well spent. The song is not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but it holds up as an enjoyable piece of pop fluff - albeit with really bad lyrics and dodgy vocals! I wonder what happened to Hannah. I hope there was some kind of silver lining to her ordeal.

7 comments:

MaryCherry said...

I have a soft spot for No Relief. She had a second song Stop N Go which peaked at #18 like No Relief did but I've never heard it sadly.

Mike said...

Really? I don't remember "Stop N Go" at all - I'll have to do some digging. I'd love to get my hands on some new Hannah! Thanks!

tommie said...

It's true! The cover for Stop N Go is even here (and looks as classy as the one for No Relief):
http://australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Hannah&titel=Stop+N+Think&cat=s

She didn't actually have a too bad chart run with No Relief - 11 weeks in the top 40 can't be too bad! I guess her shameless tactics worked...

tommie said...

... looks like Stop N Think is still available here:
http://www.play4me.com.au/product/stop_n_think_476286_111215.html

!!! Google is love!

Mike said...

Oh "Stop N Think" that does ring a bell. I'll try to order it. I can't believe it would still be in stock! I think Hannah definitely needs to make a comeback. I love her use of cutting-edge marketing techniques!

Arlen said...

I have the single for Stop 'N' Think. I remember getting it at the time of it's release for only $2! It was for the remix of it though which is absolutely fierce!
I'll upload it for you guys...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/4659730cd0cb72/

Mike said...

Wow, thank you! I love it - Stop 'N' Think is great!