Saturday, June 30, 2007

Bottom Of The Barrel?

A novelty song by an ex-"Big Brother" contestant, whose lasting legacy was her ability to jiggle her flabby buttocks, may be construed by some as scraping the bottom of the musical barrel. Well, I really couldn't give a fuck when the bottom of the barrel sounds this good! Sara-Marie Fedele might be best remembered for her "erotic" bum dancing or possibly for having a breast lift on national television but these stunning accomplishments pale in significance to her contribution to the Australian music industry.

Sara-Marie featured on the first season of Australian "Big Brother" in 2001 and developed a cult following for her outrageous behaviour. When she was finally evicted from the house, some bright spark threw a record contract her way - despite Sara's complete and utter lack of musical talent. The resulting single, a dance cover of the Pointer Sisters' classic "I'm So Excited", should have been unbearably awful. The single version, which includes Sara-Marie calling out "bum dance" instructions, was terrible in a memorable sort of way. However, the "bum dance" free mix that I have uploaded is a trashtastic classic. In fact, listening to the song now, I can't help feeling that Sara missed her calling.

Sadly, Sara-Marie's trash classic is not available on iTunes. It might be worth keeping an eye on Australian Ebay for a physical copy.

15 comments:

Ro Ro said...

I loved this cover. The cover is fabulous too. lol Thanks for shedding some deserved light on this poor diva. I'm sure without u she would have remained hidden.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm the Bum Dance? I mean, really? If I didn't know better i'd swear you were scraping the bottom of the barrel. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course. :) I'm still waiting for an entry on Jackson Mendoza. Venus or Mars was one of the hottest tracks around highschool, and Ordinary Girl wasn't too bad either.

Trash Addict said...

Ro Ro, I'm glad you share my appreciation for Sara-Marie's stunning contribution to music! The cover is all class, I have to agree.

Dear anonymous, I'm not even close to scraping the bottom of the barrel yet. I still have Cameron Daddo's country album and my Daryl Somers collection to go before I reach that point! Jackson Mendoza did have their moments. I'll have to dig out their album, it's been ages since I've had a listen. Thanks for the inspiration!

Zac said...

SM doesnt sing on that remix.

Do you remember Aleesha Rome?

Zac

Trash Addict said...

Are you serious? Is Sara-Marie's only contribution to HER single those bum dance instructions? LOL! That actually makes me love it even more. How tragic!

I remember Aleesha, I really liked "Search My Heaven". Her name isn't credited on the single but it does say that the vocals were arranged by Meril Bainbridge! The plot thickens...

Zac said...

Yep she only does that outta tune "shake that arse" bit on the radio/video version. the sirens sang the rest, they had a few songs i remember them being on the footy show and competing with mercury 4. hehehe


Zac

Miss Halliwell said...

As surprising as this is...I fucking love this!

Much better than when Girls Aloud covered The Pointer Sisters. (different song i know)

I love the etheral vocals on this first verse...makes me all floaty and prozac like!

The best cover of this song i have ever heard!

Well done Mrs M!

Trash Addict said...

I love it too, Deirdre. Almost as much as I love your dirty, old chuff.

That's too funny, Zac. I'm going to have to make an Aleesha Rome post to honour her fabulousness now!

Zac said...

Yay go Aleesha!

Jamie_movietrip said...

It's fabulous beyond words! I like the way it's not a straight cover version (LOL), and it tries to do something different with it!

Miss Heide Von Binterschlappen said...

I remember when this came out! And that "bum dance" was the most cringe-inducing piece of television ever - especially as the useless slag couldn't even shake her flabby abckside properly! How it became a fad I will never know...

TJ said...

oh i was so excited to see this song featured here on Trash Addicts that i nearly fell right off my chair!

I adore this cover...
the version with Sara-Marie screaming all over the top of it is so fun.. but this version you uploaded is a really great, modern sounding renditon of a fabulous old song... however... did the 'Sirens' ever amount to ANYTHING more than this? i cant say i have heard of them ever again!

Trash Addict said...

Who knew that a tragic diva like Sara-Marie (who didn't even sing on her own songs) would trigger so much interest! I love the poofs who read this Blog!

Jamie - I knew you would love her.
Jay - Don't lie. You secretly got off watching Sara shake her flabby butt!
TJ - Nice to see another Toy Soldier around here. I know The Sirens did at least one other song, which I promise to post soon!

Bryan said...

Very useful material, thank you for the article.
free sewing patterns | juniors clothes | rubber feet

Eric said...

Hey, there's a great deal of effective info here!
horny wives | cute clothing | bridal undergarments