Monday, April 09, 2007

Ride On Dolly's Peace Train!

The best (and only!) present I received this Easter came from my dear friend and tranny icon, Deirdre Halliwell. Knowing my appreciation for all things Dolly, Deirdre thoughtfully sent me the US Maxi single of Ms Parton's "Walking On Sunshine" - highly regarded among Dolly's fagtastic fanbase for the fabulous dance remixes of "Peace Train". In addition to the divine reworkings of Cat Stevens' 70s anthem, the single also contains four remixes of Dolly's classic "Two Doors Down" and three mixes of "Walking On Sunshine".

Dolly's versions of "Peace Train" and "Walking On Sunshine" first appeared on her 1996 album, "Treasures". I'm not sure how the amazing remixes came about but I remember there were rumours that Dolly was working on a "dance" album, which sadly never eventuated. I adore Dolly's country output but even a brief return to her disco pop glory days would have been a massive treat. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be.

I love the mixes of "Walking On Sunshine" and "Two Doors Down" but the highlight is definitely "Peace Train", which is still on high rotation in gay clubs around the globe. The African chanting on the Junior Vasquez Mix is interesting, the Bounce Euro Mix is trashtastic and Junior's Arena Mix will satisfy clubbers. However, as far as I'm concerned, it's all about the poptastic Holly Roller remix!

These remixes are a slice of pop trash heaven and I had to share them. Thanks again, Deirdre! I also need to thank MSB for lovely picture. You can try looking for the single on Ebay or Amazon but it is becoming increasingly hard to find.

I should also point out that Dannii's Dirty Box has had a couple of minor updates over the past couple of weeks.

14 comments:

londonboy79 said...

Dolly is a goddess and you are right to big her up.

Don't forget she is also a film star ... Unlikely Angel was THE greatest movie made. Shame they never released the songs from it.

Ro Ro said...

I love it. I was lucky enuff to get this single when it came out and the walking on sunshine EP thanks for sharing these awesome remixes workkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk bitch!

Trash Addict said...

Londonboy - I love Dolly's movies! My favourites are Rhinestone (I would love MP3s of the soundtrack - I can only find it on vinyl) and the incredibly awesome Straight Talk! I also love Dolly in 9 to 5.

Roro - You are so lucky to have a copy! I'll keep workin' it!

Jamie said...

Oh how I loved 'Straight Talk'. I wonder if you can get it on DVD.

Trash Addict said...

It's available on DVD in Australia. I can't get enough of Straight Talk!

londonboy79 said...

I've never seen Straight Talk, give me a synopsis.

Nine to Five is a work of genius.

Unlikely Angel is good too, in a made-for-tv, saccharine-sweet kind of way.

Adem IAR said...

Dolly is an absolute GOD. My friend Ben & I's ultimate dream is to one day retire at Dollywood...

Trash Addict said...

Straight Talk is Dolly's floptastic 90s movie where she plays a talkshow host. It's fabulous!

Ro Ro said...

omg! you've seen straight talk? lol thats like a federal crime isn't it? it was a good movie though u must try and find it and give it a try.

Trash Addict said...

Roro - Straight Talk might be a bit crap but it's hardly a federal crime! I love it!

Adem - Visiting Dollywood is also a dream of mine. We need to set up a Blogger's retirement village!

Robpop said...

Oh PTA, you are spoiling us. Perhaps you should open the legs apart one more time and create a splinter blog called Dollys Dirty Box?

It has a certain ring to it doesn't it.

Dolly is a legend. Her cover of I Get A Kick Out Of You gets me out of whatever gloom i'm sitting in. When bad clouds come I play Islands In The Stream. When I need to feel sad I play Me and Little Andy.

She's a therapist.

And as such saved me a bunch of waffles on couch sessions with some stranger who read a bit too much Freud when they were 19.

And for this-I love her.

Ro Ro said...

I've humiliated myself i meant to point that at the person who hasn't seen it..lol of course i loved it. I meant to say not seeing it was a federal crime. Hides my red cheeks and slithers off to bed.

Jamie_movietrip said...

There are some good edits on the UK single too, let me know if you want them Lola!

Trash Addict said...

Jamie, I'd love to hear them!