Thursday, December 21, 2006

Teen Queens - Camp 90s Girlband


It seems that I'm not the only poof who remembers the Teen Queens! A couple of people have asked after them since I uploaded one of their songs in my post on "The Dance Offensive", so I thought I should elaborate on the brief but fabulous Teen Queens phenomenon. As previously mentioned, the girls were a product of the infamous Westside Records label, which appeared to exist for the sole purpose of providing music to be played on "E Street". If that sounds derogatory, I don't mean it to be. Westside Records churned out some of the best Aus-pop of the 90s. Naturally, they released a couple of stinkers (check out Bruce Samazan's rap number!) but the overall quality and consistency of their output is nothing short of amazing.


The Teen Queens turned up on one episode of "E Street" and never left. Their music was played constantly on the show, which played a very significant role in their success. The girls scored a string of hit singles and released one relatively unsuccessful album called "Get Happy" before their bubble burst and they broke up. However, the band remains an interesting curiosity due to their unusual choice of music (they basically covered old songs from the 60s) and the fact that one of their members was a certain Kellie Hoggart, who went on to bigger things with Hi-5.


Cover versions of "Love How You Love Me" and "Be My Baby" were the Teen Queens' most successful singles. The videos give you a pretty good indication of their rather elaborate retro image. The girls look like they stepped right out of an episode of "Gidget" in the video for "Love How You Love Me", while the clip for "Be My Baby" would have Sandra Dee's knickers dripping!

I've included a relatively rare remix of "Be My Baby". The concept of an early 90s dance remix of a song imitating the style of the 1960s takes a while to get your head around, but I think it's great. I would have loved them to have recorded more upbeat numbers. I'm sure it would have helped stretch their rather narrow range and made them less of a novelty.

One of the Teen Queens most poptastic moments is their cover of "I Can't Help Myself". Their version is rather gorgeous and showcases their sweet melodies. This doesn't quite match La Toya's cover of the song but it comes fuckin' close!

I've already posted "Baby, It's You" but it's far from my favourite Teen Queens number. This one is just a bit too "nana" for me. A couple of readers have enjoyed it, so give it a try if the other songs push your dirty buttons!

11 comments:

Joey said...

I used to like Teen Queens in my younger days back in 1992 when I was 10 or 11. I'm now 27 years old & still got their singles on my old 100% Hits CD's in my collection. lol!

ilovehi-5xoxo said...

I love The Teen Queens. I loved them when I was younger I still do. I love all their songs esp Love How You Love Me, Be My Baby, I Can't Help Myself and Baby It's You. I wish I could get their album Get Happy I looked everywhere on the internet and I can't find it. If anyone has a copy please let me know because I would love it for my singing lessons, my computer, my I pod and my phone. I love The Teen Queens forever and I always will Kellie, Roxanne and Liza all rock. From their number one fan in Hull Joanne Moore aged 21 xoxo

PAUL'S TYPING said...

How are we going.I'm 34 and i still remember the tenn queens.I have a question.Did the Teen Queens release a song called I think i love you?Can anyone please answer that question.

Anonymous said...

Heya people I remember these girls :) I only have Be My Baby it was off a compilation album of the 90's :D there pretty rad nice blog about them the first decent information about them including pics thank you!

3D PC said...

Found it on eBay Australia, unfortunately i can't change destination country to Indonesia.

Please upload the songs if you buy it ..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/The-Teen-Queens-Get-Happy_W0QQitemZ230426746895QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100120?IMSfp=TL100120238001r17025#shId

Anonymous said...

I Think I Love You was by Voice of the Beehive.

I have the Teen Queens CD and its great!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just stumbled on your blog... Thanks for keeping the Teen Queens alive, it is really lovely to look back all those years ago and see that we had/have such loyal fans. Love Liza (i.e Kathy) Teen Queen.

Mike said...

That's so cool!!

Send me an email:

trash_lurver@yahoo.com.au

I'd love to ask about your time with the band

X

Anonymous said...

hi does anyone know where i get a copy thnx u

Ness said...

Do you know where I can download Get Happy or I love how you love me?? I tried google and this is the only post that came up that was relevant

Errol Paul said...

Love The Teen Queens. Teen Queens forever! Been looking everywhere for Teen Queens songs and this is the first place I came across when googling. Please keep this blog alive forever.